Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #41

well, it'll look exactly like this (the image at the bottom of the page):

TechnoPower2 Kit

the technotorque in those pictures is a 997 plenum and throttle body. it fits, but requires the adaptors as shown in the first image (the plenum to intake runner connections) and last (the aos connection). he is able to reuse the oem intake pipe by adding the blue coupler as shown in the third image.

so, pedro's been here already (smart guy) but is trying to make money off it by adding the splitter; i don't think the splitter adds anything to the equation.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #42

i am very interested to see how this turns out. someone may be able to sell this as a kit.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #43

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
well, it'll look exactly like this (the image at the bottom of the page):

TechnoPower2 Kit

the technotorque in those pictures is a 997 plenum and throttle body. it fits, but requires the adaptors as shown in the first image (the plenum to intake runner connections) and last (the aos connection). he is able to reuse the oem intake pipe by adding the blue coupler as shown in the third image.

so, pedro's been here already (smart guy) but is trying to make money off it by adding the splitter; i don't think the splitter adds anything to the equation.
This must be a recent development, because a few months back I contacted Pedro regarding a larger plenum and intake for my 3.2 . And, at that point he had only developed one for the 2.7. .
Old 12-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #44

hot off the presses ...

What's right with this picture?...
Old 12-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #45

Pedros setup is nice but the cost is as much as the IPD set up. i guess your best bet is to put the parts together yourself.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #46

sidebar - i was snooping around and found a site that showed the 997.2 plenum(hard info to find, as the online parts diagrams for the dfi 09+ cars are not readily available).

what is interesting to note is that the 997.2 plenum has a resonance flap (the 997.1, they one we've been discussing to-date, does not).

to track the evolution of these things, my understanding is as follows:

reason - the resonance flaps stay closed at low rpm to facilitate intake tuning. at high rpm they open to maximise airflow. they tend to activate around the same time as the cams turn over. note that the presence of the flap, even when open, can restrict max airflow, so the flap is a compromise between low rpm and max hp.

986/996/997 - resonance flap on the resonance tube, but none on the plenum.
987/cayman - flap added to the plenum
997.2 - flap added to the plenum

so, for some reason, porsche decided late in the game to add this technology to the 911 series. i presume that they initiallywanted max mid-range for their 'turny' cars, and max hp for their 'straight line' cars. i guess they eventually decided that the 3.8 had engough hp and needed more low rpm grunt.

SO, we've got to ask ourselves - more top end or more low end? if i can squeeze a 997.1 plenum in there, i should be able to squeeze a cayman plenum in there (which has the resonance flap). i'll have to check, but i should be able to tee off the line that controls the other resonance flap to drive this one. then it's just a matter of rigging the aos connection.

perhaps both and a back-to-back comaprision?!?!?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #47
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Can we get a mod to vape all the spam-y garbage in this thread?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #48

You'd think!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #49

to bad there is no plenum like this for the boxster
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #50
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
to bad there is no plenum like this for the boxster
That's a pretty good shape. The carbon fiber is unnecessary bling though.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #51

found this 997S plenum . would this fit a 3.2 ?
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #52

fun. like a treasure hunt. not much info to go on. a red herring thrown in there to boot. the first image you provided had 'sharkwerks' stamped on it, so easy to find. that was an image of the sharkwerks 997 turbo plenum, so wouldn't work on our cars. at first you would think that the carbon plenum in the second image was related, as it was a carbon plenum with 'werks' on it. not so. no such product. so, i check the file name of the image you posted and it had 'tpc' in it. aha, i say, tpc has a carbon subsiduary. not so, as nothing on the tpc website. then i google 'tpc carbon plenum' and voila, werks is a subsiduary of champion motorshorts.

should fit the boxster (with larger throttle body). nice unit.

Werks1 - Porsche 997 Carrera/Carrera S Carbon Fiber Plenum
Old 12-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #53
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
fun. like a treasure hunt. not much info to go on. a red herring thrown in there to boot. the first image you provided had 'sharkwerks' stamped on it, so easy to find. that was an image of the sharkwerks 997 turbo plenum, so wouldn't work on our cars. at first you would think that the carbon plenum in the second image was related, as it was a carbon plenum with 'werks' on it. not so. no such product. so, i check the file name of the image you posted and it had 'tpc' in it. aha, i say, tpc has a carbon subsiduary. not so, as nothing on the tpc website. then i google 'tpc carbon plenum' and voila, werks is a subsiduary of champion motorshorts.

should fit the boxster (with larger throttle body). nice unit.

Werks1 - Porsche 997 Carrera/Carrera S Carbon Fiber Plenum
Either those guys don't know what they're talking about or they're lying, but the in-plane thermal conductivity of CF reinforced polymer is VERY high, often higher than copper. Out of plane (thin direction) is low conductivity. The plenum will get warm faster and ultimately transfer more heat to the intake air than a plastic plenum would.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:29 AM   #54

it looks pretty , looks like the air flow issues are sorted with this design also but a grand for the part seems steep . would this part be functional if it was made from regular fiberglass ?
Old 12-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #55

Pedro's setup includes...

Quote:
Pedros setup is nice but the cost is as much as the IPD set up. i guess your best bet is to put the parts together yourself.
... a full ECU tune.
If you look at my kit and add up the cost of the parts you'll se that it's what you pay for at Suncoast or any other Dealer.
Thanks for ripping me off guys!
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 12-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #56
Porscheectomy

Quote:
it looks pretty , looks like the air flow issues are sorted with this design also but a grand for the part seems steep . would this part be functional if it was made from regular fiberglass ?
Fiberglass would work but you'd want to reinforce the screw holes and the hose clamp areas to keep it from cracking.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #57
02 box s

pedro,
does the ecu tune learn if i add headers, etc later? i don't know much about the porsche ecu. i know that some of the earlier pcm's didn't have the ability to "learn"
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #58
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon View Post
... a full ECU tune.
If you look at my kit and add up the cost of the parts you'll se that it's what you pay for at Suncoast or any other Dealer.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Do you really think you're getting ripped off? I just want to get a sense of how serious you are before writing more.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
pedro,
does the ecu tune learn if i add headers, etc later? i don't know much about the porsche ecu. i know that some of the earlier pcm's didn't have the ability to "learn"
You should always do ECU tuning after all modifications are done to your car.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon View Post
... a full ECU tune.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Really?

When I suggested the 997 plenum I was not aware of your T3 kit. Have a look at the beginning of the thread. The idea came from wanting to try a larger throttle body as is used on the IPD product. The 997 plenum was a natural step.

Sometimes others think of the same things you do; it's happened to me many times. Some like to work out problems and develop their own stuff. Keep in mind that as Canadians buying kits and components is frot with customs, duties, taxes and shipping problems; sometimes you get fed-up and want to just do it yourself if you can.

Your kit came to light later, and looks great. It looks like you have it all dialed in. Some may disagree with the design and that is their prerogative. Of course a dedicated tune will be of significant value. Keep up the great development work.

I would think you are getting some free advertising rather than being ripped off