Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #21

Alcohol is cheaper for an average folk?

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #22
02 box s

as a new owner of an 02 S i feel the same as the op. i had looked at buying another mini or even an s2000, but couldn't believe that i could get a near perfect40k S for well under 20k. a similar mileage mini cooper jcw, albeit a newer model year, runs close to 16-17k. it just seems like a no-brainer. the maintenance costs are certainly an issue, but a base model for 10k vs. anything else out there is a bargain.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteichman View Post
I live in your region, and on long haul drives (PA to Cape Cod, PA to upstate NY, etc.) I routinely get 29 MPG. It's slightly lower when I have a second person in the car (27 or 28 MPG) Maybe it's because I have the 2.5 engine? I also use the cruise control a lot on these trips because they are so long..
Yep. The 2.5 is a highway sipper compared to the 3.2 and it is also a lighter car than the last of the 986's.

I've learned that using cruise control, and boring driving doesn't give you drastically better mileage in the S. I think sometimes people forget that even at 250 HP, the 3.2 was a bigger engine for a Porsche than what we've now become use to seeing. The focus was power and no one was thinking about mpg when gas was $1 and change in the late 90's.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #24

I ran a highway mileage check when I first got my car (99 2.5). Four hours, steady speed of 65 mph, straight line, dead flat prairie = 32 mpg. Two hours each way so wind wasn't a factor.

But normally I'm getting about 21-23 mixed hwy/city, driving briskly.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #25
Registered Boxster abuser

I have not got 300 miles on a gas tank yet, and I think I ran out of gas on one of my boxsters
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #26
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
That's never a good thing for any car. I did come dangerously close to an empty tank once with the Boxster...never again, that was more sweating than I'd like to do in that car.

I know what you mean about not getting a lot of mileage from a tank. I've been getting a pretty consistent 20.5mpg for each tank, though I rarely let the car go beyond an indicated 1/4 tank before filling up. I've yet to see more than maybe 280 miles out of a tank regardless of how much driving is city and highway, but I also make sure I don't lug the engine in 5th going 65, so I know this plays a part.

I didn't buy the car for its gas sipping, though. Nobody was thinking about 7-speed manuals back then.

There are some of us who like to enjoy and have fun with driving. Other people just want a car that has four wheels with maybe as many working brakes, enough oil to not seize up, at least one working door handle/headlight/signal (brake lights are optional), and just enough cylinders to get them from point A to point B and they could care less if it has 15 inch black steelies and plastic body panels. Still othes are trying in vain to trade in their older and/or less efficient cars for something aenemic like a Honda Fit that could get better mileage and have a bigger tank for a car its size to be worth its price. They think they're doing themselves a favor even though they may end up filling up just as frequently as I do, albeit on regular vs. premium, but if your Fit is getting 30mpg on a 10.5 gallon tank (and that's still a big IF), you're getting just over 300 miles from it, no better than my Corolla with the 2 extra gallons it holds.

For those of us who want to enjoy driving (even when people are just getting in your way ), there's a reason to buy and enjoy a sports car like a Porsche.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #27

I'm the opposite. I rarely fill up even to half way unless I'm just about to embark upon a trip that definitely needs more than half a tank, which isn't often. You don't get a discount for buying in bulk, more gas means more weight and smaller amounts of fresh fuel is better than letting it sit in the tank and go off. It probably doesn't go much, but that's my reasoning.

Of course, the outrageous fuel prices in the UK rather discourage brimming it on a whim, too.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #28

I rarely fill past the halfway mark either. i think of it like carrying around an extra 8 gallons of milk in the trunk.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #29

I am always filling my Porsche with fuel. Thats because I find any excuse to take the car on an errand just about every day. The best $10K toy I ever bought !!! It's just a shame it took so long to buy one. I am trying to make up for lost time. We are all lucky to own one !!! Max
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #30
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
It really depends on what you compare it to. I just got a sc430 I'm driving around and for everyday use I think I would pick it over the Boxster, better power, more torque, better stereo, better everyday seating, Hardtop is quite when up.

But if I'm going into the canyons I think I would take the Boxster, but not sure as I don't know how well the sc handles yet.
The SC430 does not compare to a Boxster, they're two completely different cars.

The SC430 is heavy, slow, sucks gas and has no trunk

>>> weighs 3,840 lbs
>>> claimed 0-60 in high 5s or low 6s, but 15.6 quarter
>>> 16/22mpg
>>> automatic transmission, no manual available
>>> the hard top convertible takes up almost the entire trunk. Here's a photo with the convertible top down and taking up most the trunk space:

that little space in the back is the trunk.

It's very much a secretary's or real estate agent's car, the Lexus version of a Toyota Solara, but at least the Solara has a trunk:

Last edited by 986_inquiry; 12-06-2011 at 05:57 PM.
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #31
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
I have not got 300 miles on a gas tank yet, and I think I ran out of gas on one of my boxsters
Really? I just filled mine up today, 290 miles, put in 13 gallons so I had 2 gallons to spare stupid 98's and their tiny 15 gallon gas tank guess that gives me more time to chat with the ladies at the pump though

But I'm still learning how to drive a stick so I'm sure it'll improve a bit more as soon as I figure out that I don't need to revv it to 4000 rpms to start moving in 1st

mpg so far:
--1st tank = 22.4
--2nd tank = 20.4
--3rd tank = 22.3
Old 12-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #32
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansBlue View Post
I bought mine because it's more exclusive than a SLK or Z3/Z4 and it's more reliable too. Oh and it has two trunks and no extra seats for for tag-a-longs
This is going to sound silly but.... the two trunks were a big selling point for me.

There's almost no other convertible that offers as much trunk space as the Boxster does with the top down, and certainly no convertible with as much space AND is as well reviewed.

Every magazine, every reviewer, absolutely loves the Boxster. It's very difficult to find anyone saying anything negative. It's... almost weird, like they were all paid off, or they were all on happy pills while reviewing the car. But after buying one I can honestly say it deserves all the praise it receives. It's the perfect car.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
The SC430 does not compare to a Boxster, they're two completely different cars.

The SC430 is heavy, slow, sucks gas and has no trunk

>>> weighs 3,840 lbs
>>> claimed 0-60 in high 5s or low 6s, but 15.6 quarter
Yes they are, they may be heavy but its got more torque than the boxsters and you feel torque in the city not HP

Quote:

>>> 16/22mpg
I have not hit 20 in either one of my Boxsters yet...

Quote:

>>> automatic transmission, no manual available
In the city and commuting, auto is ok for me, even though both my Boxsters are manual.

Quote:
>>> the hard top convertible takes up almost the entire trunk. Here's a photo with the convertible top down and taking up most the trunk space:

that little space in the back is the trunk.
But look at how much space you have if the top is up. It is there if you really need it.

There is a reason there are so many different cars, everybody has different needs and sometimes one car cannot fit all those needs.

besides the sound system on the Boxster

In other words "Why doesn't everyone drive a Boxster?

because I drive 2!

don't get me wrong I like the Boxsters, otherwise why would I have two?

Last edited by healthservices; 12-06-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Yes they are, they may be heavy but its got more torque than the boxsters and you feel torque in the city not HP

I have not hit 20 in either one of my Boxsters yet...

In the city and commuting, auto is ok for me, even though both my Boxsters are manual.

But look at how much space you have if the top is up. It is there if you really need it.

There is a reason there are so many different cars, everybody has different needs and sometimes one car cannot fit all those needs.

In other words "Why doesn't everyone drive a Boxster?

because I drive 2!

don't get me wrong I like the Boxsters, otherwise why would I have two?

my S has more torque than any of my vehicles in town, effortless acceleration!!!!

my other vehicles are a BMW X3 2.5i and a highly tuned Saab 9-3 putting down about 260hp to the wheels.....the Saab has more violent acceleration (pushing about 23psi boost) but with the turbo lag I think my S is just as fast if not faster accelerating, top speed is no contest going to the S and handling is also no contest also in favor of the S.....but the Saab gets over 30MPG on the highway and has 4 seats and is an auto, so its the daily driver for the wife.
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:27 AM   #35

Why doesn't everyone drive a Boxster?

Back to the original question. And so you can all stop wondering, I have figured it out. Everyone isn't as cool as we are.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:24 AM   #36
2006 987

Garage
Quote:

But look at how much space you have if the top is up.
Not much, it's shallow above that area, and that's why I bought a convertible, to leave the top up

Quote:
You mean the engine? Sounds great to me!

ghetto cruisers need "sound systems", we have Porsches If I wanted a sound system I'd drive an escalade and fill it full of subwoofers
Old 12-07-2011, 05:25 AM   #37
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman View Post
Back to the original question. And so you can all stop wondering, I have figured it out. Everyone isn't as cool as we are.

:dance:
Old 12-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #38

"If I wanted a sound system I'd drive an escalade and fill it full of subwoofers"

Nothing bugs me more than being stopped at a red light and my mirrors are vibrating because some punk has his subwoofers cranked and all I can hear and feel is this " boom boom boom". If I had my way, anyone caught with a subwoofer in their car would be hauled out of it and beaten to a pulp, followed by their car being towed away and crushed to a cube.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
"If I wanted a sound system I'd drive an escalade and fill it full of subwoofers"

Nothing bugs me more than being stopped at a red light and my mirrors are vibrating because some punk has his subwoofers cranked and all I can hear and feel is this " boom boom boom". If I had my way, anyone caught with a subwoofer in their car would be hauled out of it and beaten to a pulp, followed by their car being towed away and crushed to a cube.

ha ha Just because i enjoy music does not mean I go to the extremes you guys are thinking.

Some punk kid in his escalade lol - YouTube

Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #40
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I don't want everyone to drive a Boxster. Takes the fun out of being different.

I've pulled 400 miles out of a tank on my '04 2.7 before, usually get about 360+ these days.

Sure, I could have gotten a "better" car, but the realization finally came that I could afford one of these beauts. I remember first seeing a Boxster in the flesh in 1997/1998. I was in Sarasota (Longboat Key) with my family on vacation, and went to a marina to rent jet skis. There it was, one in Arena Red over saddle leather. I was awestruck on just how damned good that car looked.

Normally I drive my '95 E320 as the daily commuter, however since I lent the car to my partner (due to his older VW crapping out ), I've been doing the work-trip in the Box. More smiles.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote