Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #1

Ticking from engine more noticeable with top up and seems like from behind driver's

I have a steady tick from behind me while at idle. It may be there at higher rpm, but i just may not be able to hear it. I am thinking lifter? I have driven it for a while and doesnt go away and have changed oil recently as well. I can also hear ot outside the car, but very faint. Any help would be appreciated. No CEL or smoke or anything

dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #2

Check ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
I have a steady tick from behind me while at idle. It may be there at higher rpm, but i just may not be able to hear it. I am thinking lifter? I have driven it for a while and doesnt go away and have changed oil recently as well. I can also hear ot outside the car, but very faint. Any help would be appreciated. No CEL or smoke or anything
... your oil level.
It could also be a loose spark plug.
Happy Boxsteing
Pedro
Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #3

+1 on the oil

I had the exact same issue, an oil changed fixed it.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #4

I had a ticking sound coming from behind me also, which was in the engine somewhere. I could never find out what it was so decided to go to the mechanic. They opened the engine compartment and found out what it was (at no cost). They even let me listen using the mechanics stethoscope. And low and behold it ended up for sure being a few of my fuel injectors being a bit noisy. I ended up getting a bottle of Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner With TECHRON and it quieted the injectors down a bit.

If you can hear the sound being louder when you put your ear up to the side vents, it might just be the same problem.
Jbocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #5

Thanks guys.....i just had oil changed less than 1k miles ago....kinda baffled...maybe it is an injector?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #6

Like Pedro said...check the spark plugs first. If one loosens up a little, you get a ticking noise.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #7

Whatever it is, if you've developed a noise I would have it checked immediately. Check your oil level as that is fast and easy.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:50 AM   #8

Oil level is fine. Bringing it to a shop today to have it checked out
Old 12-03-2011, 04:38 AM   #9

Looks like it is an injector, but not to the point where it needs to be addressed. one is just louder for whatever reason...maybe down the road it will need to be addressed. The mechanic definitely could've tried to sell me something, but he was very honest and straightforward...will definitely use them again
Old 12-03-2011, 05:06 AM   #10

Thats great news. I added a injector cleaner to my tank yesterday and viola:ah: (not violin) the noise went away in about 10 minutes. Mine was ever so slight of a noise.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #11

Mine is slight as well. And i only noticed it recently since I have been driving with the top up. What type of injector cleaner did you use? my past experience is Techron is the best
Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #12

I have been using B 12 cleaner and no more tick, CEL (on and off) and the rear bumper is cleaner after a long drive.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Mine is slight as well. And i only noticed it recently since I have been driving with the top up. What type of injector cleaner did you use? my past experience is Techron is the best
I used the Techron
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #14

Garage
Another way to clean your injectors is to have them pressure cleaned by your favourite car repair shop. This basically means that they run your engine on pure TechRon for an hour or so. This cleans out the gunk from the injector solenoids. Make really, really sure that they change your oil after this procedure. A lot of the solvent ends up in the oil and it also eats rubber in this high concentration.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:34 AM   #15

Thanks guys
Old 12-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #16
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 Boxster View Post
I used the Techron
This was the product of choice in a past Porsche bulletin I had, I think it might go all the way back to the 944 days.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:23 AM   #17

Always be certain to change your oil after using Techron or any other fuel additive...M96 engines have loose rings and you have contaminated your oil by using it.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote