Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #1

Sick o' the Click

This may sound like nitpicking but I just hate the metallic "click" the switch on the clutch pedal makes. Every time I depress it, it depresses me lol.

Anyone ever found a silent switch?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Registered Boxster abuser

my hearing must be bad on both my sticks, I cannot hear it, besides there are so many other creaks and rattles, how can you hear a single click?
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #3

I hear 'em. Twice per shift, once on the way down and again on the way up. Sounds sharp, like the old turn signal relays.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #4

oh good, Im not the only person that gets annoyed by that lol
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #5

what happens if you remove it? that's what they do on the caymans ...
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #6

Yeah, it doesn't exactly scream "$60,000 car!"....

Not sure which switch does it - I understand there are two, one for the ignition interlock and the other to disengage the cruise control.

The ignition interlock doesn't really bother me, I don't plan on starting my car by accident. But I DO like the cruise control to disengage if I push in the clutch....

Last edited by peterbrown77; 05-09-2012 at 09:02 AM.
peterbrown77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

If you're hearing the click when driving then maybe try replacing the switches. If I really pay attention I can hear mine click with the engine idling but never hear it when driving due to the engine/exhaust/road noise.

Also, the intent of the 986 was driving enjoyment rather than luxury so most of the development money went into the chassis and suspension while NVH and interior ammenities took a back seat (which does not exist in a Boxster- meaning that they were generally ignored!).

Porsche believes that today's owner demands both performance and luxury so the new 981 Boxster is by all accounts smoother, quieter, and quite a bit more luxurious while also being faster. However, this comes at the expense of losing some of the raw and pure sports car feel of the 986.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Porscheectomy

The switch that activates when the clutch is depressed is the starter lockout. You can either disconnect the wires to the switch and short them and then remove the switch or hold the switch closed with a tie wrap and tuck it away under the dashboard. Either way will allow you to start the car without the clutch depressed and remove the click when you press on it.

The switch at the top of travel is for the cruise control. This one you probably don't want to mess with but it's also the more quiet one anyway.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbrown77 View Post
This may sound like nitpicking but I just hate the metallic "click" the switch on the clutch pedal makes. Every time I depress it, it depresses me lol.

Anyone ever found a silent switch?
Ok listen up !! one more time. Go and buy a can of "Fluid film" spray. W/ spray wand. Take the micro switch off and spray the insides. This will quiet down the "click" I have used this for 25 years + - on thousands of micro switches. While you are at it you can use it on just about everything. Hinges,electrical connections. "BATTERY" !!! You name it !!! Even the dreaded.......key switch !!! Good luck as I know this will work.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliemax View Post
Ok listen up !! one more time. Go and buy a can of "Fluid film" spray. W/ spray wand. Take the micro switch off and spray the insides. This will quiet down the "click" I have used this for 25 years + - on thousands of micro switches. While you are at it you can use it on just about everything. Hinges,electrical connections. "BATTERY" !!! You name it !!! Even the dreaded.......key switch !!! Good luck as I know this will work.
How about the light switch, lol! That one's a heart-stopper. More than once I've flipped my high beams off on a dark road to have ALL the lights on the car turn off. Ah, hurtling into blackness at 80 mph sure focuses your attention....
Old 05-10-2012, 04:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbrown77 View Post
How about the light switch, lol! That one's a heart-stopper. More than once I've flipped my high beams off on a dark road to have ALL the lights on the car turn off. Ah, hurtling into blackness at 80 mph sure focuses your attention....
Yes, Fluid Film works on light switches !
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
while NVH and interior ammenities took a back seat (which does not exist in a Boxster- meaning that they were generally ignored!).
You should try sitting in a 1st or 2nd gen Miata... or god forbid... Shelby Cobras...

Then you will soon realize how luxurious the 986 is as a sports car.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote