Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #41
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceatlantic View Post
So now that I found that I have the DME wire colour codes I started looking at the DME functions more closely. Has anyone considered using the 'knocking yes/no' wire on pin 67 to wire up a knock indicator? Or am I misinterpreting what this is for? Sounds like a simple bulb to this would give you a warning.
The knock sensor is imperative for this app and should be automatic. It' really just a tunned microphone, at the first hint of a knock it retards the timing, less power but no knock. A light might be nice but by the time you notice it a lot of damage may be done. A knock is detonation, very hot and at the wrong time. It will make your pistons in to swiss cheese. The stock system work well enough for the stock TPC setup. Up the boost and thats where you would need the SMT6 magic to retard timing further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceatlantic View Post
There also a pin for oil temperature. Dose the non-S '99 986 have a oil temp sensor or is this what it would connect to if I had one? If its just the dial Im missing then Im going to want to start to plot that.
The dme is all 5v I believe. Put a voltmeter/DMM on it and run it for awhile. If it goes from say1.23v to 3.56v, its doing something. You can feed that signal right into your SMT6 software or get a gauge. You can also get an aftermarket guage & sensor.

Regards, PK