986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Plasti Dipped my wheels (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/31366-plasti-dipped-my-wheels.html)

Jbocio 11-29-2011 04:31 PM

Plasti Dipped my wheels

5 Attachment(s)
I Saw a few videos on youtube the other day with this stuff called plasti dip and thought I would give it a try. It is a multi-purpose rubber coating that you can "paint" your wheels with (or whatever else you desire).
It's only $6 per can at your local Lowes or Home Depot And the cool thing is if you do not like the result of your plasti dipped whatever, it peels right off with no problems.
So I decided to give it a try and this is how it came out.

fivepointnine 11-29-2011 04:32 PM

pics on the car? how did you get into the edges by the tire lip?

Jbocio 11-29-2011 04:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I think it came out pretty good. Im going to have to let it sink it for a few days to determine if I really want to keep them this way for a while.

Jbocio 11-29-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fivepointnine (Post 266208)
pics on the car? how did you get into the edges by the tire lip?

It does not matter if you get it on the tire because you can get a toothpick and peel the layer of plasti dip right off.
There are plenty of videos on youtube that give demonstrations about this as well.

healthservices 11-29-2011 05:22 PM

Thinking of doing one of the boxsters (the whole car!) I have since it has so many rock chips in the paint. :(

ddb 11-29-2011 05:54 PM

I like the look, and that it's easily reversible. Another forum member did this recently too.

I think it would look good if you taped off your crests and applied the coating to your center caps.

blue2000s 11-29-2011 06:40 PM

The stuff has been around for at least 30 years. I used to use it for coating tool handles. I tried it on the stereo knobs on my car once too.

It doesn't adhere very strongly, unfortunately, so it will probably start to peal with a little use. Washing the wheels will probably be enough to release it from the wheel in spots.

It looks cool though.

fivepointnine 11-29-2011 07:26 PM

well after seeing those pics it looks like I have my new weekend project

ekam 11-30-2011 04:19 AM

Pretty sure it'll chip or peel quickly...

Anybody tried Bondo on their wheels yet?

Perfectlap 11-30-2011 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healthservices (Post 266214)
Thinking of doing one of the boxsters (the whole car!) I have since it has so many rock chips in the paint. :(

There are some amazing "$50" plasti dip paint jobs on YouTube. Obviously beater cars but still great for someone that hasn't a ton of funds.

The Plasti Dip also comes in some of those colors you often see on GT3 Porsche wheel colors like powder blue, red, etc.
Personally I think vinyl wrapping is a more durable wheel color option that is reversible and relatively inexpensive.

Perfectlap 11-30-2011 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbocio (Post 266209)
I think it came out pretty good. Im going to have to let it sink it for a few days to determine if I really want to keep them this way for a while.

you should remove the center caps. cover up the crest with masking tape and exacto knife and plastic dip the rest of the cap. I think it will give a more polished look and the gold of the crest will stand out more. I would experiment with a red vinyl pin stripe around the wheel too. The motorcyle guys do this when they have black wheels to break up the monotone look and keep it from looking police car like.

http://986forum.com/forums/attachmen...els-photo5.jpg

healthservices 11-30-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 266275)
There are some amazing "$50" plasti dip paint jobs on YouTube. Obviously beater cars but still great for someone that hasn't a ton of funds.

The Plasti Dip also comes in some of those colors you often see on GT3 Porsche wheel colors like powder blue, red, etc.
Personally I think vinyl wrapping is a more durable wheel color option that is reversible and relatively inexpensive.

vinyl wrapping can be expensive $1200 to $2000 up to do a car. I also heard that the plastic dip can do a number on the clear coat on the paint. :(

thstone 11-30-2011 08:23 AM

Looks great! I have been looking for a way to color coat my track wheels and this approach should do the trick at a great price.

landrovered 11-30-2011 09:23 AM

I don't know about wheels but it might be the perfect fix for the "soft finish" interior finish problems on most modern cars. It looks great when the car is new but the finish peels off with wear to show the shiny material underneath and then it looks like crap for the rest of the life of the car. My range rover has it on the steering wheel and the window buttons on the doors. It would be nice to make it look new again.

Overdrive 11-30-2011 10:06 AM

I know my Boxster won't be seeing much snow/salt mess over the winter, but this wouldn't be a bad idea for my Corolla, which will see all the winter has to offer.

healthservices 11-30-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landrovered (Post 266307)
I don't know about wheels but it might be the perfect fix for the "soft finish" interior finish problems on most modern cars. It looks great when the car is new but the finish peels off with wear to show the shiny material underneath and then it looks like crap for the rest of the life of the car. My range rover has it on the steering wheel and the window buttons on the doors. It would be nice to make it look new again.

I just used regular vinyl paint or even plain pain on my Range Rover/BMW/porsche anything is better looking than that peely crap :barf:

Perfectlap 11-30-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healthservices (Post 266296)
vinyl wrapping can be expensive $1200 to $2000 up to do a car. I also heard that the plastic dip can do a number on the clear coat on the paint. :(

I'm going to attempt a vinly wrap once some bodywork on my car is completed.
I think if you have someone helping, you can do most of the panels and have a professional do the doors/door handles.
The cost of materials is not huge. I have a hard time justifying $200 an hour for a car with pretty simple body work and no top to do.
It's not like painting a car. If you screw up just tear a new sheet and start over.

I may vinly wrap my new wheels (997 Turbo look) before I do the car.

healthservices 12-01-2011 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If my hood does not come out the way I want it I may plastic dip or carbon wrap it.

I have like a million rock chips in the bumper and hood.

After two weeks of filling and sanding I still have dozens of chips visible. :(

blue2000s 12-01-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landrovered (Post 266307)

PlastiDip will rub off even more easily than the original finish.

jcb986 12-01-2011 11:43 AM

Just get the front clip repainted to match the rest. OR even better, paint it a metallic and have the color flow along the doors back to the air vents. 2 TONE.:cheers: