Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #21

Garage
Teenager here. I don't given two @$!&s about phones. Growing up as a kid, we'd always hang out and go outside, but now that is replaced with texting and facebook. I don't want to open another can of worms, so I'll leave that here. Got my learner's permit the day I turned 15, picked up and learned manual, never went back.

Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre shags View Post
My first son had no interest in driving at 17 - weird. But I insisted he get his license because many jobs need driving sometimes. And then there is the safety factor - what if the driver breaks his leg? How would you get him to the hospital?

A customer told me that his son refuses to learn to drive and asked how I got my son to do so when he didn't want to. Simple, I told him to.

Second son got his learner's permit the first day legally possible.
My son got his 2002 Mustang at 15. License the day after he turned 16. It's a manual, tough to text and shift I told him he had to have a job though to drive it. He's been very good about paying his own maintenance. No tickets yet, I told him I wouldn't do anything if he got one though, the cost of the ticket AND the insurance cost would punish him enough

Oh, and he always has the latest smart phone which he pays for. I had more discretionary income when I was his age too.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #23

Garage
I just asked my 20 year old daughter if she had to choose between her 2010 Mustang and her Droid phone which one would she keep... She said the Droid. Crazy.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #24

Just to bring in another theory - this phenomenon may also have something to do with video games. With all the video games, along with texting and facebook, there is no longer a reason to go outside.

I only have a single test sample to report: I banned video games in my house. My daughter decided she wanted to learn to shift gears to have one of my older BMW's when she turned 16. Even an older BMW is a bit of a status symbol with high schoolers. Now she has graduated to taking my M3, beats a lot of guys in autocross, and is an instructor in the Street Survival School. Dad is very proud.

So, dump the video games.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:47 AM   #25

We need more car geeks like her...

I'm back, but where have I been?? - YouTube
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #26

I can kind of confirm this, none of my friends own a car or have any interests in them. Even if they see a new porsche, ferrari or lambo on the street the just don't care. But they all buy new smartphones every year. The most common argument is "there is no need for a car in the city" or "i am just not interested in cars".

I am 20 now, was 19 when i bought my boxster, it cost's a lot of money and sometimes i have to cut down on other costs for gas, insurance and repairs but it's worth every penny!

tobiasr is offline   Reply With Quote