Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #1

Water Pump replacement difficulties

Hi Everyone

I'm trying to replace the water pump on my 2001 Boxster. I was able to get the old water pump off, but I'm having a hard time even getting the tools into position to take the old thermostat off.

My question is, since I removed my old water pump and the impeller appears to be good and not shattered into little pieces, which from what I understand, its the little pieces from the impeller that would mess up the thermostat causing it to fail, since my impeller on my old water pump is still together, can I just leave the old thermostat on and just replace the old water pump?

(for some reason the roller had popped off the old waterpump and the serpentine belt had come off and thats why I am replacing the old water pump)

I have the new thermostat, I just cant see how I am supposed to get that thing off with the tools described in all the diy's I've read online. I have a flex 10mm on a 1/2 inch socket with an extension, but its like a bad joke even trying to reach anything other than the bottom most screw on the thermostat, I just don't see how its going to happen. I have the car up on jack stands, and I'm working from underneath the car. And all the hoses that contact to the water pump and thermostat have been disconnected.

Any advice or suggestions on getting the thermostat off or advice on just replacing the water pump only, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joshua

"Its Craptacular" - Bart Simpson 1997
joshua6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #2

Excuse me? The thermostat housing is out in the open from underneath the car (red arrow in photo), are you sure you are removing the correct housing?

I've changed a bunch of these and it is a 5 min. job............
Old 11-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #3

Yeah, I remember thinking one (maybe two?) of the bolts were a bit tough to get to (especially the one in JFP's photo, above). Don't remember details of how I did it, but all I can say is this: Be sure you have good lighting and good access (make sure the car is high up enough to be able to readily move around under there---be safe though!). Once I had that, I just approached things from different angles and with different extensions on the wrench---eventually you find the combination that works.

I also remember thinking, as I put the new one on, why was I having so much trouble accessing the original to get it off?? It's very do-able.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #4

You need a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with an extension and a universal joint

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
You need a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with an extension and a universal joint
Maybe...I used a 3/8" drive. (Agreed on the universal joint.)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #6

Nice photo and graphics.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #7

I changed mine to the LN low temp unit a couple years or so back and don't recall having any difficulties...just wish I would have replaced the pump at the same time.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #8

The thermostat is very easy, the water pump is the hard part:
to get to all of the fasteners which hold the pump into place you need to partially work from under the car and partially from behind the seats through the access panel behind the seats
I agree that to get to some of the remote locations is a b*tch, but it can be done. I tried pretty much every combination of extensions and swivel heads and eventually I could get to all of them. It basically needs a lot of patience.
What helps is that all the fasteners are torqued very low, so you don't need a lot of force to get them off.
About your question: If you're already that far, I'd pull through with it all the way.

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car

Last edited by ChrisZang; 11-22-2011 at 06:15 PM.
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote