Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #21
Registered Boxster abuser

its held in by expanding clip. Just use something to push the center of the clip out then remove.

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Ladrovered got it, it's a part that's nonexistent on a 97, not sure if they started doing it in 98...kind of a double edged sword, because you'll likely hit it with your knee like he said, but if you don't have it you're stuck dropping your manual into one of the map pockets on the doors or putting it in the pocket where you're supposed to store your wind deflector.
Where is the official wind deflector pocket?

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #23
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
That'd be the big flat cubby hole behind your head that you access between the roll hoops, yimmy. For me it's a zippered leather pocket, but anyone 99 and up I believe got the sliding door style one. In there is where one stores the wind deflector...after placing it in its protective case, of course.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #24

Quote:
That'd be the big flat cubby hole behind your head that you access between the roll hoops, yimmy. For me it's a zippered leather pocket, but anyone 99 and up I believe got the sliding door style one. In there is where one stores the wind deflector...after placing it in its protective case, of course.
I have had two Boxsters and I have never removed and stored the wind deflector in the silly little cubby hole. Can someone tell me why one would remove it and store it? More feeling of that wind flowing above one's receding hairline?
ChairmanRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanRon View Post
I have had two Boxsters and I have never removed and stored the wind deflector in the silly little cubby hole. Can someone tell me why one would remove it and store it? More feeling of that wind flowing above one's receding hairline?
Now that it's gotten chilly here in Chicago, I've removed mine because it rattles a bit, and causes some distracting reflections when driving at night or early morning... It will remain stashed (but not in the cubby) until the spring thaw...
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #26
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
The explanation per the manual between your legs says that the wind deflector does not need to be in place when the top is not down (we all know this obviously or they wouldn't have made it removeable). By removing it, the air will circulate through the car more efficiently when you have the top up and your windows down and/or using your air conditioning/heating/defrosting. So when/if you do this, there's the place to store your deflector.

I could pose a similar question to people who leave the wind deflector and roll hoop inserts in place but roll their windows down with the top down...you're still getting the tornado effect, so why bother even having the deflectors in place if you defeat their purpose?

Now I'm not saying I agree with what Porsche is saying 100%, and I don't have a pouch to put my deflector in before storing it in there anyway, so when I'm not breaking the bottom holding tab off of the roll hoop , I just leave the deflector there because I don't want to have to bother to take the damn thing out every time I want to use it. I have, however, noticed that the airflow in the car is somewhat better when it is not there (top up), but it's not a significant improvement to where I'd want to bother inserting and removing the thing all the time.

Another reason could be to deter theft if you walk away from your car with the top down (I know, I know, but people DO do it), but at the same time, if the thief knows where to look it doesn't really help much, so that's a straw grab. But also, if for any reason at all you do remove it, you have a place to store it that isn't one of the trunks where it can slide around or hit/get crushed by something. This does give it a very occasional purpose.

Mine is in the house since I broke that holding tab, but if I had that pouch for it, I'd be storing it in that space so that it stays with the car.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 11-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #27

I never take the deflector off. Mine doesn't rattle and removing and installing it constantly just makes it become loose over time. Not to mention you're creating a chance to break the plastic if you don't install it carefully.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #28
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Totally agree, ekam. I left mine installed all the time, and intend to continue to do so. Now I've just got to shut up my driver's roll hoop that rattles almost constantly.

So now I'm curious, did Porsche do something proper with the manual in later model years?

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 11-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
So now I'm curious, did Porsche do something proper with the manual in later model years?
I have a proper glove box that holds my manual, registration, flashlight and phone charger nicely, with room to spare. Not sure what year it was introduced in.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #30

i believe the real glovebox was introduced in 03.