Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 05:02 AM   #1

Two New Performance Centers to Open In the U.S.

Maybe I'm late to the game, but I just read on the Adage website that Porsche is about to open "Performance" centers in Atlanta and Carson, California.

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #2

i read that yesterday. they're not "about" to open it, they're still in the planning stages. groundbreaking expected this summer, open sometime late 2013.

the one in atlanta is in the actual development stage and will serve as PCNA's corporate headquarters with nearly all staff moved there.

track included.

"...the highlight of the 53-acre facility is undoubtedly the massive test track. Billed as a safe, exhilarating environment for experiencing the pleasure of being in the driver’s seat, the proposed course seems to offer almost everything a driver could want. A road course is a requisite, of course, but the playground will also include a giant skid pad, special surfaces that replicate wet or frozen roads, and an off-road portion for Cayenne SUVs to prove their mettle. The grounds will be open to those enrolled in driving courses, but Porsche hints it will likely allow corporate clients, car clubs, and other groups to rent use of the facility."

can we get a 986forum.com day going?

Porsche Plans Massive Test Track, Customer Center In Los Angeles - Rumor Central

Last edited by tonycarreon; 11-19-2011 at 06:43 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

I wish they would open tracks all over the country and allow people to join like golf courses. It would be really cool to drive an hour, be able to get your ya ya's out on a track and head home.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:13 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
I wish they would open tracks all over the country and allow people to join like golf courses. It would be really cool to drive an hour, be able to get your ya ya's out on a track and head home.
We have one in Chicagoland :
Autobahn Country Club - America's Premier Motorsports Club located in Joliet, IL | 2 Road Racing Courses | Defensive Driving School, Skid Pad | Auto Country Club | Karting | Sports Car Country Club | Motorsports Country Club | Road Course Driving | R
But it's mostly like a country club; members only,except special days - they do rent to clubs, too, I think.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:44 AM   #5

Garage
The Atlanta facility is going where the old GM plant was. It was an eyesore, an old style belching factory. I am looking forward to seeing a gleaming Eurostyle facility as you come around the corner.

I plan to take full advantage of the facility when it opens.

EDIT: It was the Ford plant, the GM plant is on the east side of the perimiter.

Last edited by landrovered; 11-20-2011 at 07:56 AM.
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #6
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S View Post

The only thing I have heard lore about in CNY is that opening day at Watkin's Glen you can drive your own car on the track. Something tells me if it's true there must be a pace car or the like. That track is tricky for professionals, I can't see a melee of opening day wrecks being encouraged.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
The only thing I have heard lore about in CNY is that opening day at Watkin's Glen you can drive your own car on the track. Something tells me if it's true there must be a pace car or the like. That track is tricky for professionals, I can't see a melee of opening day wrecks being encouraged.

Every year at Indy they have a day when you can drive your car on the track. I looked into it. They told me it's more like a very, very slow parade behind the pace car.

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote