Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2005, 06:23 AM   #1

2000 boxster S 3 spoke steering wheel

does 2000 Boxster S come with 4 spoke or 3 spoke steering wheel?

also is 75K on a 00 Boxster S consider high mileage?... at a good price is it worth buying?

showboat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:14 AM   #2

2000 S's came with a 3 spoke leather wheel and vinyl airbag standard.

75k on a 2000 model automobile is 15k per year, which is typical for a commuter vehicle. Porsches typically do not have this kind of mileage on them, so it is considered high. There should be a deduction for this in the pricing... check kelly blue book values for the amount to deduct.

"...at a good price is it worth buying?"

Pricing for used Boxsters is whacky... they sell for full KBB retail and 2k under wholesale. Don't rush into buying a particular car until you've compared it to many others around the country and your neck of the woods.

Boxsters can be very expensive to maintain and repair when 5+ years old if the previous owner(s) didn't take good care of the car. Before buying any Boxster, I'd take it to a qualified, experience Porsche shop or mechanic and ask him to find every flaw in the car and report it to you. Pressure test the engine, cooling system, check out the brakes, suspension system (struts, control arms) and get someone with a paint density meter to walk around the car and see if it's been wrecked (the paint will not be as thick in resprayed areas). Finally, you should take it and get a four wheel, laser alignment before you commit to buying it. This will quickly tell you if the car has been wrecked or slammed into a curb and not repaired properly.

All this will cost you a couple of hundred bucks, but take my word for it, it's worth it. Do a search on my screen name and read my historical threads if you don't believe me. Had I done what I suggest above, I'd be driving a far newer, cleaner, and better performing Boxster for what I paid and then put into my car in the last year or so.

Best of luck to you in searching for your Boxster... enjoy the hunt, and don't fall in love with any one car if it's not a low mileage, well-cared for cream puff.

PS - Garage queen Boxsters that are 5-7 years old and only have 15k on them **may** cause you as many problems as one with more mileage on it. The seals, gaskets and hoses tend to rot when a car isn't driven. If you find one, just make sure the pre-purchase inspector looks for these things.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote