Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2005, 08:12 PM   #1

Sold M3, thinking about Boxster

I have sold my e46 M3 and thinking about a boxster - either the 986 or 987. Am interested in people's thoughts about:

1) flaws in the 2nd generation 986 that have been corrected in the 987
2) main problems with 986 (and yes I have already checked about golf clubs fitment)

I always thought the M3 was a good compromise between performance and practicality and I still think it is a great car. But a new one will be out in a few years and I thought I should explore a boxster since they look and drive great. My only gripe is that when you add in all the extras, the boxster isn't as cheap as it first appears ... and I like my gadgets ...

So any thoughts will be appreciated and even if u provide links to other threads, that would be great ...

Know any good salespeople at porsche in london?

anothertoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:33 AM   #2

I think it's a great car. I love the drive and haven't had any major problems, just a sensor here and a relay there so far. 66K miles on a MY '00.

The only things I don't like about my MY are the cheap, plastic interior parts and the plastic rear window. I know the window was changed in '03, but I don't know about any interior changes. The interior plastic parts have a coating on them to give them a flat finish and the coating scratches very easily. I also don't like the rubber knobs on the radio.

Those little negatives aren't that big of a deal and I'm sure someday soon there will be aftermarket interior parts that will be higher quality for replacement. Overall, I'd buy it again, and again, and again.....
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:53 PM   #3

A 996 cabbie has the same dash and it is 85k+ so we can't complain too much. The box S is better than a E46 or an m roadster from my experience. ....nothing beats the mid-engine feel.

Last edited by Adam; 07-08-2005 at 07:37 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote