Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #41

@ overdrive

im going the DIY route with the help of 1 friend

Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 AM   #42
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbocio View Post
I am close to getting a top as well. But I'm wondering about the difference between the A5.

And the Twillfast RPC > 1997-2002 Porsche Boxster Convertible Top
Is it a $100 difference in terms of quality, durability, noise reduction.
I'd say it's most likely materials, since they even say right there that it's a lower cost substitute for A5. Maybe it doesn't reduce as much noise as the A5, as well. See if there's a breakdown of the components of an A5 material as well so you can compare the two directly.

lbrown2009, you'll be saving yourself a good amount of money doing it yourself. Just be sure to take your time and have plenty of patience, and do plenty of reading up on the job.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #43

The top is succsessfully installed!
Jbocio, it sucks that your insurance didn't want to pay for it.
I'm with Liberty Mutual and I paid them 600$ every 6 month (for 2 cars) for past 8 years and never had any claims, they could buy me a new car with those money

Now back to the glass top. Here's my review after 2 drives to work and back:
1. Looks: it looks amazing, it looks sharp, modern, canvas is perfetcly stretched and glass window makes the car look like it's from 21st century
New top feels thicker and "puffier" somehow. Also old blue top was faded, dark black looks better
2. Window size: it's SMALLER! From outside.. it actually looks good with smaller windows. From the inside.. I cannt stop staring in it (now that I actually see something)
I never used rear view mirror, when it's sunny it was top down, in all other cases it was fogged, now I can see clearly through it.. so I stare all the time in it.. and the worst part it's smaller and I cann't see the eyes of the SOB behind me...
3. Rear defroster is amazing, windows doesn't fog in the morning and even in the rain.. you can see through it
4. Sound Proofing. I got a A5 Accoustic top.. I don't think it's "Hardtop" quiet, but then again, I never had a hardtop, road noise is a lilttle bit more muted and you can hear rattles inside better, other then that.. about the same thing
5. Engine access.. cannot comment on that yet. Shop told me to wait 2 weeks before lowering the top since it's cold outside, I'll post in 2 weeks more.

Overall I'm really glad I went with glass, it looks amazing, I don't have to worry about plastic breaking in spring and hopefully I'll get over the rear mirror stare

I also have a question: I saw the invoice from GAHH (they unpacked the new top while I was there) and it said 680$ it also said A5 UltraMaxx (I just glanced on it don't have many details). Does GAHH sell tops cheaper for installers?
They did charge me 870$ for the top and 650 for installation, but I have a feeling that those numbers were "probabilistic"

And of course before and after picture:

Thanks
Sasha
Attached Images

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #44

Looks great sasha! Thanks for the extra bit of knowledge as well, it answers some questions I had. I'm going to try to install my future top as a DIY project to save the extra $300+ installation charges.
Can't say you CAN'T do something until you try it first.
Jbocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #45

i agree. looks great. did mine a few months ago. retrospectively, should have asked the insurance company. was debating it, but just assumed they would claim it as wear and tear. still, it is TOTALLY worth the money. top is much better and just makes the car look "new" again. the smaller window definitely takes awhile to get used to, but overall, small price to pay for the huge difference. only other complaint i have about it is that, mine doesn't close automatically as smoothly as original. i have to hand power the last few inches for the latch to catch. hope yours works better sasha, but from what i've heard on this forum, others have the same problem.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #46
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I have always been in the habit of doing this, tuanle, even when the old top did practically close itself all on motor. I do notice that my pulling on the hand holds is actually accomplishing more movement now and bringing the latch in line with its slot, but you're supposed to do it anyways just to make sure your top is fully closed. It seemed to improve slightly after the material stretched, but I wonder now if the A5 will behave differently if it's thicker.

Congrats, sasha, and let us know how everything else works out.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 12-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #47

@overdrive and @tuanle what type of material top do you guys have? And from what company?
Every bit of research and Info helps in my search for a top.
Jbocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #48
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I have a Robbins top.

ROBBINS AUTO TOP COMPANY | CONVERTIBLE TOPS

I'm not sure if you'll be able to dig around in here and find that info, but the Boxster tops are all the way at the end.

If I had to venture a guess I would say it is Twillfast like what is seen in Autotopsdirect's website. I know mine is not an A5 acoustic version, but I will still say that even at a lesser cost it's a great quality top and it holds up to the weather (rain so far, at least) beautifully.

What they mention in those notes about the top coming out of the channels when opening/closing, that does happen, and still did happen once or twice with my new top. It's simply a known problem with Porsche, and I've just gotten in the habit of checking it, as it always happened on the driver's side. I will say also that the Robbins site is the first time I've seen anything that mentions that there are updated parts that can fix this.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 12-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #49

I'm not sure you need an accoustic version, I noticed very little difference and my old top was ... old.

I got the most expensive one because insurance was paying.. but if I would do it myself.. I would buy a twillfast one

Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel View Post
one very minor consideration with the plastic versus glass window top came from the perspective of one of my mechanics. They prefer the plastic window because is gives them better access to the car in maintenance mode versus a glass wind top.
The opposite side is that an incautiously placed arm can cause a crack in the plastic window when in service mode. Ask me how I know.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote