Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 05:16 AM   #1

Ray gun

Ordered new OEM ignition switch because aftermarket switch was 45 degrees off on the key way and would not work after 2 hours stuck under the dash . What Porsche sent was a complete steer lock ray gun looking assembly including the electrical ignition switch. Price of $168.50. Called Porsche and was told that they only sell the ignition switch as a whole assembly. How hard is this to install now that I own it ? Also was told that this solves almost every electrical problem that Porsche has. Thank you all for your thoughts. Part # 996-347-017-07 steer lock

milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:27 AM   #2

It does address all the issues, but is a more complicated install than the $10 replacement switch you could get from domestic online suppliers or an Audi dealer, and install in about 30-45 min.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
Registered Boxster abuser

What is wrong with just plugin in the electrical portion of your new ignition assembly? Save the rest for later when you need it.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #4

milliemax:

just an fyi. when i got my new ignition switch and installed it, i too thought it was bad because looking at the old one and the new one they did not seem to line up.

the old one was \ whereas the new one was closer to __ (see the pic, old one on the left, new one on the right. both held in the same position)

that however was the problem. the old one was way worn out and did not turn all the way to where it should have. it took a little work but then slid right in.

what you got was the entire assembly (porsche does not sell just the electronic ignition piece alone). as has been stated, the assembly is a lot more involved to change.

it's no fun being upside down, but once i got myself wedged in at the right angle the actual change was quick and easy. since then no issues and the feeling of the key in the ignition is a lot more solid.
Attached Images

Last edited by tonycarreon; 11-11-2011 at 07:07 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #5

Thanks Tony ! My switches look the same as your picture. The new one was off by a few degrees and would not fit. It would only fit if the ignition was to be in ON position all the time ? Re-installed old switch. I made sure the new switch was in the off position but was still off position. Please explain what I did wrong. Is there a trick to this? Is there a position I should have started from. Meaning-- key in position_____? Or after removal of electrical turn key to______? Thanks for your help! Max from OC now ENC
Old 11-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #6

i honestly do not remember what i did, but i think i turned the plastic notch to get it to line up with the metal (closer to the same angle as the old one). after that it slid in and i was able to turn the ignition all the way off and remove the key.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #7

Garage
My problem was once I was upside down and my back was sufficiently locked up I was too close to the damned switch to see it with my bifocal glasses. If I could I would hire a mechanic that was a foot and a half tall to do the ignition switch job.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #8
Ex Esso kid

The switch gets stucky/gummed from sitting. The bentley book shows how to take it apart, I made it part of annual maintenance to lube it.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #9

I lubed the key switch area and it turns nice and clunks when you remove the key. Good sound. The new aftermarket electrical switch ? I tried different key way positions but still could not get it to line up and slide all the way in. I read a few months ago where someone had the same problem but do not remember where I read it. Reading about the switch problems I decided to buy a spare........that will not fit. Thank you all for your help on this. Max