Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #1

Cleared Codes and Cycles

As I understand it, certain systems - secondary air, O2 sensors, etc - will not recored codes for a certain number of cycles after they've been cleared. So I have several questions

1. Does anyone know which Boxster systems must wait for a certain number of cycles before recording new faults?

2. Are the cycles number of starts, number of miles driven, or a combination of both. If so, what are the relevant numbers

3. Does the ECU store faults before a waring light comes on.

Thanks

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
As I understand it, certain systems - secondary air, O2 sensors, etc - will not recored codes for a certain number of cycles after they've been cleared. So I have several questions

1. Does anyone know which Boxster systems must wait for a certain number of cycles before recording new faults?

2. Are the cycles number of starts, number of miles driven, or a combination of both. If so, what are the relevant numbers

3. Does the ECU store faults before a waring light comes on.

Thanks
1. All the emissions’ systems require "drive cycles" before the DME resets from "not ready" to "ready".
2. Area of debate; some codes take longer than others, and this appears to be on purpose to foil clear codes and then trying to sneak the car through inspection. All require several "cold start, warm up to full temp, drive and highway speeds, and cool down to cold" cycles. So it could be anywhere from 50 miles to over 100, dependant upon the code(s) or combination of codes involved.
3. Yes, they are called "pending codes".