Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
Matt

Spoiler Fuse

Before I go digging around to disconnect - does the fuse for the '02 Boxster S spoiler enable anything else? I want to disable the auto-spoiler but, obviously, don't want to disable anything else.

MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
recycledsixtie

Garage
Disable what?

I bougt my 2001 Boxster base in may of this year and the spoiler was disabled before I bought it. I have not got the Porsche dealer receipt in front of me but know that the dealership disabled it . I know that nothing else is disabled(I have no psm). Obviously the previous owner had found it too expensive to fix it so disabling was the cheaper way to go. When I go to the garage next, I will chk what the receipt says. I have had no problems with handling - I dont race it.
Trust this helps some.
Guy.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Matt

It does thanks. I have an Aero II spoiler so I don't want the stock one coming up underneath it causing airflow problems.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #4

The fuse for the spoiler (D/7 I believe) is also the fuse for your rear trunk. If you disable it or remove it, you will have no access to your trunk.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Matt

I did the manly thing and pulled the door off of the fuse box. I indeed see what you say is correct. I will have to disable (if I choose to do so) the spoiler another way. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Sorry I don't have the direct answer to your question, but I have a question of my own for you. It's not meant to insult your intelligence, but I'm curious whether or not you've already pulled your fuse panel lid and if there is the fuse panel map in there like I found in mine a few weeks back? That map, if yours is still there, tells you what each fuse controls.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #7

The rocker switch by your left foot must be involved with the auto mode. I would think the hot wire is jumped from the switch to the auto speed mode switch ? Just a thought... If you have voltage coming into the "foot switch" and "jumping " off to somewhere else I would try to pull the connector off from feeding the "speed mode switch" Please......Just a thought ? Good luck and let us know what you find. Max
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Matt

I did finally do that (see my previous post). In years of Porsche ownership, I had not had a need to previously do so. Someone told me the other day that there should be a "map" in the panel door - and THERE WAS. Who knew (apparently you and others did). Thanks.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliemax View Post
The rocker switch by your left foot must be involved with the auto mode. I would think the hot wire is jumped from the switch to the auto speed mode switch ? Just a thought... If you have voltage coming into the "foot switch" and "jumping " off to somewhere else I would try to pull the connector off from feeding the "speed mode switch" Please......Just a thought ? Good luck and let us know what you find. Max
Good thought. I may just wait until my next scheduled service/oil change and see what the dealership suggests. I hate to disconnect the switch and find out later that it actually runs the driver's airbag.......... Probably not, but who knows what lurks down thar?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I only found out by doing, too, MileHigh. I guess you were typing your response at the same time that I was typing mine, so I didn't realize you'd replied already. Glad you found out what you needed, and that your map was intact with your vehicle.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
recycledsixtie

Garage
sorry milehigh...

Finally got around to getting the receipt re. the rear spoiler. The P dealer receipt says, "disconnect spoiler drive and warning lamp.Disconnected power supply wires to spoiler motor to ensure it cant be moved electronically". So I gather the c/b was not disconnected?! There is no mention of disconnecting the c/b.Also the spoiler warning red lite does come on when driving above (80 mph).Hope this helps.
Guy
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #12

With the factory Aero II Kit, it comes with a plug with a jumper wire in it that is plugged into the wiring harness at the spoiler connection.

Wiring harness at the spoiler

Jumper plug provided with the kit
Appleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #13

That's a great photo and super information. But.....where is the plug/wiring? Behind the carpet? Inside the trunk? Left side or right? Thanks for the great info.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
That's a great photo and super information. But.....where is the plug/wiring? Behind the carpet? Inside the trunk? Left side or right? Thanks for the great info.
Oops sorry about that. The plug/harness is in the rear trunk underneath the liner. You'll need to remove the trunk liner and the styrofoam insulation. The wire harness is on the drivers side right beside the spoiler actuator.

Hope it helps

Cheers

Mark

Appleguy is offline   Reply With Quote