Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 04:01 AM   #1

Garage
Radio issue

So this morning, I start up the car, and the radio just displays "P O R S C H E".
No sound, nothing. I can turn it off, and the display goes black, but otherwise the buttons don't do anything. Turning the volume doesn't do anything, so it seems no power to the speakers - no hiss or anything.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? I didn't have time to go thought the fuse box and check fuses, but the fact that it has power makes me think it's not a fuse.

2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:56 AM   #2

You need the stereo code. Mine does this once I have disconnected the battery. You wont get anything without the code. Hope you have it. I am not sure how to get it if you dont. Mine was in the manual when I purchased the car. Good luck.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:25 AM   #3

Garage
Assuming I can find it, do I just enter it using the preset keys or something? All of the buttons are unresponsive, as far as I can tell...
Old 10-31-2011, 06:46 AM   #4

go to rentech forums, the mod/owner over there has cracked the beckers and can give you a code
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #5

Fortunately/unfortunately, '03 and newer Porsches do not require a radio code being entered manually. They utilize the MOST fiber optic set up where each component in the authorized loop electronically "shakes hands" with the other components.

That said, you'll need someone w/ the PSTII or PIWIS system (Porsche diagnostics tools) to find the source of your error. Or, you can try and reset all the electronics in the vehicle by disconnecting the cables from both battery terminals. Then, with cables still disconnected, use a box wrench/wire hanger or the like and connect the cables (not the batter terminals ) to each other for at least 30 seconds (maybe a minute). This will ground out the system to itself and reset everything. Then, reconnect the (+) terminal and then the (-). You'll have to reset your clocks, window stops for auto up/down etc. This may be enough to reboot the MOST loop in your car to recognize each component.

Otherwise, as I previously mentioned, you'll need someone w/ the Porsche diagnostic tools to find the error. The CDR 23 radios (which you have) are known to have issues as well as the corresponding amps.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #6

I have this same issue with my Porsche and I have found a temporary fix.

The problem I have is intermittent and does not occur very often, but the symptoms are similar. Either my radio on displays the word Porsche or the headunit works fine but I get no sound at all.

It ALWAYS works in the mornings. It happens most often when I driven the car for 30+ minutes so I'm assuming it may be a heat problem.

The temporary fix I have found to work is to sit in the car and press the lock button on your remote and wait about 30 seconds. There is a very dim red light that is in the middle top of your headunit, wait till this light starts to flash, when it starts flashing, press the unlock button and press the power button on the radio, it should now work. If it still doesn't work, repeat the process again, mine always works again within 3 tries.

Once it works, start your engine and you're good to go.
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I've had the same issue, also on an intermittent basis. My "solution" was to cycle the car on/off, removing the key in between attempts. Then it went back to function.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
I've had the same issue, also on an intermittent basis. My "solution" was to cycle the car on/off, removing the key in between attempts. Then it went back to function.
You sir, win the prize... Haven't used the car since Monday when I had the problem, and was going to check out the fuses, but on your advice, I just started her up, and viola... It's back to normal. Will see if the problem crops up again...
Old 10-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #9

It's alive!

Had the same problem on a 2003 Boxster with a CDR23 radio and none of the suggested DIY fixes worked except your method of disconnecting the battery and joining the cables for a minute. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Fortunately/unfortunately, '03 and newer Porsches do not require a radio code being entered manually. They utilize the MOST fiber optic set up where each component in the authorized loop electronically "shakes hands" with the other components.

That said, you'll need someone w/ the PSTII or PIWIS system (Porsche diagnostics tools) to find the source of your error. Or, you can try and reset all the electronics in the vehicle by disconnecting the cables from both battery terminals. Then, with cables still disconnected, use a box wrench/wire hanger or the like and connect the cables (not the batter terminals ) to each other for at least 30 seconds (maybe a minute). This will ground out the system to itself and reset everything. Then, reconnect the (+) terminal and then the (-). You'll have to reset your clocks, window stops for auto up/down etc. This may be enough to reboot the MOST loop in your car to recognize each component.

Otherwise, as I previously mentioned, you'll need someone w/ the Porsche diagnostic tools to find the error. The CDR 23 radios (which you have) are known to have issues as well as the corresponding amps.

Good luck
garlandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:42 AM   #10

Radio on then off, maybe on again-03 S

The interim fix I've found is to insert a CD which often gets the radio working again. If not, eject the CD and the radio works. Crazy!!

Do you think the above "disconnect battery cable" fix will be a permanent fix for this?

tlc356 is offline   Reply With Quote