Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #1

squeaking noise when turning the wheel/going over bumps

Hey guys,

I have a high pitched speaking noise coming from what sounds like the right front of the car when turning the wheel. It only happens (or is only noticeable) at very low speeds, like parking lot speeds when backing out, pulling in, etc. etc. Also, when I go over bumps, I can hear a good amount of squeaking from the R front of the car. It sounds like a pretty ghetto porche coming down the road sometimes. It isn't sqeaky in the mornings, or after the car has been sitting for probably 8+ hours. But after driving it for about 5-10 minutes, it will speak when I turn at low speeds again.

Also, when I press down on the front right part of the car, just above the front passenger wheel, it sqeaks pretty hardcore from the wheel well area. None of the other shocks are sqeaky. It doesn't ride like the shocks are out though.

1999 base boxster 92k miles, unknown if it is original suspension.

Any ideas

Edit: its more of a creaking sound, driving right now.

Last edited by fedekz986; 10-21-2011 at 02:44 PM.
fedekz986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Registered Boxster abuser

Newbie here and I know exactly what you are talking about.

Here is a quickie to see if one of your problems is your lower control arm ball joint.

you'll need a can of WD40 or penetrating oil in a can with a straw tip and a ice pick.

Go to your lower ball joint and puncture the boot with the ice pick, and
insert the straw from the wd40 in the hole, and give it a good squirt.

Watch your eyes as it may squirt back at you if you put in too much.

Take a test drive. If it is gone or changed drastically, think about replacing the lower arms.

If you have a clunking, clicking noise, another source of noise is the sway bar end links. Disconnect them from the sway bar and see if the noise goes away.

Good luck.

Last edited by healthservices; 10-25-2011 at 07:47 AM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote