Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #1

ugggg, MAF issue still?

so I had an 1128 and 1130 and 1123 codes. cleaned MAF, reinstslled, runs worse now and now get same codes but also now 0102 and 0112. when in mnual shifts fine, in triptronic automatic, now twice did not shift from 2nd to 3rd until high rpm and speed and until i let up. car did run better when had MAF out. is all these symptoms of bad MAF? hoping so. I have 99 boxster.

npr thx

nprboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Hard to say, any codes read? I can tell you this, cleaning doesn't always refresh a MAF
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #3

But do the codes n symptoms sound like a bad MAF? Does an MAF cause gear shift issues? THX
Old 10-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #4

I'd say get a new MAF and hope for the best. My Tip shifts a little smoother when the MAF and intake leaks got fixed. I think the tip takes the gas pedal position into account when deciding about shifting and if the MAF or intake leaks are throwing off how the car is running and the pedal position isn't normal for the speed & power level actually being developed. That's just a guess by me.

MAF cleaning didn't do anything on my car. A new MAF fixed it. Of course it won't fix it if you have genuine intake vacuum leaks. So a smoke test to search for intake leaks would be a good idea. It found a big leak on my brake booster vacuum pipe.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #5

Garage
This list may help you better define the problem . P0102 is a notorious indication that you have a bad MAF sensor .

CEL Error Codes - Boxster Tech
Old 10-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #6

ok is this normal. cleaned MAF, put back in, rsn worse, light came back on. light went off a day later, still not running best, day later light went off again, running better. does a cleaned MAF take a few days to adjust. anyone hesr of this before?

npr
Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #7

New MAF Sensor

I am not trying to be rude bu I don't understand why people here don't listen to what is being told to them. You need to have your engine smoke tested and look for any vacuum leaks. If nothing is found then REPLACE the MAF and reset the codes.

I chased the same problem for 2 months. Found a common air leak in the Oil filler tube. That did not fix the problem with 1128 and 1130 so replace the MAF and have not had a CEL for 3 months now. Running better than ever.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 View Post
I am not trying to be rude bu I don't understand why people here don't listen to what is being told to them. You need to have your engine smoke tested and look for any vacuum leaks. If nothing is found then REPLACE the MAF and reset the codes.

I chased the same problem for 2 months. Found a common air leak in the Oil filler tube. That did not fix the problem with 1128 and 1130 so replace the MAF and have not had a CEL for 3 months now. Running better than ever.
actually was rude. some folks need to read the question. my latest just asked if it was normal for the light to go off and on and then off a few days after cleaning. never went off prior to cleaning w/o resetting code.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #9

Cool Reply

I do truly apologize. I didn't mean to be abrupt, but people come to this site most times looking for answers to problems they are having. I too use this site for that purpose and education. The previous 2 people said to replace the MAF sensor. Cleaning usually does not work or is very temporary. That is only my opinion.

I would again smoke test the car. At least it eliminates the possibility of it being a vaccum leak before you spend the $200.00 on a new MAF.

I again i am sorry for being direct.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 View Post
I do truly apologize. I didn't mean to be abrupt, but people come to this site most times looking for answers to problems they are having. I too use this site for that purpose and education. The previous 2 people said to replace the MAF sensor. Cleaning usually does not work or is very temporary. That is only my opinion.

I would again smoke test the car. At least it eliminates the possibility of it being a vaccum leak before you spend the $200.00 on a new MAF.

I again i am sorry for being direct.
no problem, I.did order the MAF a few days ago, due here tuesay, just thought it odd the light comes on and off and has now stayed off but car still has trouble sometimes upshifting in automatic between.2nd n 3rd, didnt have that issue before MAF clean.