Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #1

High pitched whining noise at 30 mph and above

Purchased a 2002 Boxster with 120,000 miles 2 weeks ago. Car is in immaculate condition inside and out and based on service records has been well maintained.

Last weekend the car developed a high pitched whine coming from the right side of the vehicle at 30 mph and above. When speed drops below 30 mph the noise goes away.

When trans. is in neutral and engine rpm's increased to 3000 or higher the noise does not manifest itself.

Checked wheel wells and brake/hub assembly for any debris - none found.

Any ideas?

DLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #2

Use the search function "whistling" - there's quite a few possibilities, mostly the fuel filler vent hole or the wing mirror.
Most problems seem to be the fuel filler area.....
Old 11-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #3

Check the other seat

I occasionally hear high-pitched whining from my copilot

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:50 AM   #4

After 30 what happens? Does the noise track or change pitch with speed? If so I'd be looking at wheel bearings, brake assembly, tires.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #5

The pitch of the noise does not appear to change with speed or rpm's other than when the noise disappears at around 30 mph when decelerating.

With the top and windows down you can hear the noise reverberate off curbs and concrete barriers.

When top and windows are up it sounds as if noise is coming from engine compartment.

I'll pull the wheels off and check the engine compartment for anything unusual this weekend.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:52 AM   #6

noise

I to have had a humming noise from the front right passenger side.I have already posted and had no luck.My mecanic has no clue.If I turn right from a stop and accelerate while turning I can hear it.Once straight it stops.Around 40mph I can hear it again(intermittently).At that speed I only hear it at constant speed.If I accelerate it stops.If I lift ever so gently my foot off the gas(not enough to change speed)it stops.Could that be related to the gas vent as some of you have already mentioned.Any suggestion would be appreciated.Thanks
lahalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #7

Right side high pitch sound

My belief it has something to do with the Cold air box that I had added. I never heard the sound before and the sound seems to be coming from that vent behind the passenger door.
Razinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #8

I have the exact same problem

I just bought a 2004 Boxster S anniversary edition.

Above 30mph, I hear a whining noise coming from the passenger side. Some days I hear it, other days I don't. The noise does not change in pitch or loudness once over 30mph. I have tried rolling in neutral, increasing revs, and decreasing revs and nothing causes the noise to change. It is more noticeable with the top down for sure. Since it doesn't change due to engine speed or ground speed, I am thinking maybe alternator? I would think that it has to be something that maintains a constant rate once over 30mph. Any ideas guys?
huggybear52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Check posts under me, see if it is like the flute noise myself and others are having. I found a parts car and just need to get with the guy to try out 3 different parts. If it is the flute/or air over a bottle noise then from what I've seen on many posts and forums it isn't always fixed with the same solution/or part. On mine since I can get all 3 parts I'm going to try to do process of elimination hoping the end result will be identifying the exact part...but again yours maybe something totally different.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #10

My 05 S whistles as well. I am 99% sure it is the side view mirrors on my car.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #11

If it was caused by wind, don't you think the sound would vary with speed? And why does it only occur on certain drives? If I start the car and it does it from the beginning, it does it the entire length of that particular drive. It is only after the car is turned off and sits that it will go away. Also, it has never appeared half way through a drive. It is either all or nothing. To me it doesn't sound like a noise that air could make. It sounds more mechanical, unfortunately. Very high pitched though.
huggybear52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #12

Are you using the heater or A/C when this noise is present?? For there is another
fan for that system and it can be a little noisy.

Kicks up dust from dirt roads like a Big Dog too!
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #13

The HVAC system is turned off. I am beginning to wonder if it is a pulley making the noise.

It might be time to take it to the shop.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:24 AM   #14

I have a new fuel vent valve unit on order for a single tone "wooooo" sound that comes from the right front of the car under light load. The sound goes away instantly if I change the gas pedal position. My car also has issues when I fill the tank. Sometimes I can only get it 3/4 full.

To the OP, you might want to remove your oil fill cap with the motor running. If you can't get it off or find excessive vacuum your AOS would probably be the culprit. I've read elsewhere that this can create a screeching sound if air gets sucked past the RMS. Probably not the problem in your case but it's worth checking since it's so easy.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
[QUOTE=Dale_K]I have a new fuel vent valve unit on order for a single tone "wooooo" sound that comes from the right front of the car under light load. The sound goes away instantly if I change the gas pedal position. My car also has issues when I fill the tank. Sometimes I can only get it 3/4 full.
QUOTE]

Exactly how it is for me, not clear if DLow is having same issue. I'm trying to get same parts you are but from a parts car down the street.

Please report back and let us know if it works. Also I have part numbers but can you post again what part you are getting, thanks.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #16

My wife's 2002 S (30K miles) had the same issue. The whine would disappear under 25 mph. Putting the car in neutral and revving the engine would not change anything. Applying the brakes while driving would not change the whine either. I was convinced that it might be a wheel bearing. Just before I took it to the shop the whine went away. It's been 4k miles and not a peep. Still concerned, tho.
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #17

High Pitch Whistling Noise from Passenger Side

I have an 03’ Boxster with 105k. I have been hearing this mysterious, high pitch, whistling noise from the passenger side for over a year. It comes once I hit over 30mph, and it completely disappears under 20mph. Coincidently, it started after I had the rear tires replaced and front alignment done. It echoes next to curb or another car. Sound does not vary with speed.

I finally couldn’t stand it any longer and took it to the shop earlier today. I will post an update once, if, they figure out what it is.
saqib986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #18
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I occasionally hear a high pitched whininig that sounds like it's coming from behind my head in the engine bay. It increases/decreases with the engine speed. The alternator and belt have been replaced, as well as an IMS retrofit and RMS fix done. Other than that, and me changing an air filter and MAF, nothing else has been done in there, and the sound doesn't always occur, it happens some times and not others, and can come and go at random. Not sure why this happens.

I also get the other whistling noise from my passenger side while driving, but only somewhere between 60 and 80mph. Below that I get nothing and beyond that I think wind noise simply drowns it out, but that sound is much more consistent at those speeds, and I imagine it's the mirror or the bumper/hood gap culprits that members have mentioned before.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #19
Certified Boxster Addict

"I occasionally hear a high pitched whinining that sounds like it's coming from behind my head in the engine bay. Not sure why this happens."

Same for me....
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #20

my guess is that your wheel bearing is going bad.

silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote