Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #1

Another brake thread! yay (weird noise)

Gents,
Recently replaced pads on all 4 corners (put slotted/drilled rotors on) and i've noticed that when driving it, the very first time I brake (moving forward), the front brakes make a "clacking" sound as if they're "seating" themselves against the rotor or something. After that, no noise and the brakes always function beautifully.

I've never had slotted/drilled rotors so I don't know if it is contributable to that at all, but it doesn't sound "normal".

This happens no matter how slowly forward I am moving.. Even just rolling forward (no gas), if I barely hit the brake pedal, I hear them "seat". What should I check?

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #2

First, did you torque everything back in place correctly and did you bed the brakes properly.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #3

Everything torqued precisely to spec and brakes bled "properly" (0-60 60-0 hard stops, etc.)
Old 10-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #4

Not bled...bed. You need to seat the pads to the rotors. Find a nice stretch of road so you get up to around 50-55mph and stop hard, down to about 25mph without locking the brakes up...repeat at least 2 more times. You should notice a big difference...I do you this when I let my Boxster sit to long.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #5

err typo on my part, parenthesis should've given clarification that i DID mean bed.. phew. i'll give it another shot. I bed them just as you described, but maybe it didn't "take".
Old 10-16-2011, 05:41 AM   #6

I have the exact same thing but it comes from the back right brake and only when Im backing up, not going forward.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #7

You should not have a clacking sound at all. Something has to be loose or not set correctly. I changed my 1998 Base to drilled rotors and new pads. They worked great and no funny noises. There are several things that could cause this sound 1 time each time you drive it. It would depend on whether or not you are always going forward or if you back out of the garage or on to the street. I would suggest looking at the following things. The way you describe it sounds like something is loose and it is resetting when you first apply the brakes.

These are just some things to check to eliminate possibilities.
1) Did the rotor set keeper bolts get tightened properly ? If they are loose or broken the rotor could be slipping against the wheel studs. Although you would think the wheel stud bolts torque to 96 foot bounds would hold it anyway.
2) Wheel stud bolts. Are they torqued to 96 foot pounds ? Are they not broken ?
3) Caliper bolts. Torqued to spec ? I don't remember the number.
4) Are the pads the right size for the caliper ?
5) Pad springs seated correctly ?