Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2005, 06:25 AM   #1

Dashboard Rattle Problem

I've noticed a bad rattle coming from the drivers side dash area. It seems as if it is located at the point where the dash and the windshield and the cowal all meet. It has been triggered by bad vibration on rough roads and then stays even with normal road vibrations. It occurs the worst with the hard top attached but will happen with the soft top up and when the top is down. I've had to the dealer many times and they are stumped by it. Anyone have a similar problem that may have been solved?

Old 05-22-2005, 06:24 AM   #2

I experience this as well. It starts at various times. Sometimes if I turn my radio up this can start it as well. It does not happen all the time, but when it does it annoys the heck out of me. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side near the window/dash,speaker area.
porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:02 AM   #3

I experience this as well. Mine is coming from the driver side dash, close to the door or somewhere in the door close to the dash.

I'm not sure, but it could be the speaker cover - when I touch one side of the cover, it will freely move up/down by about 0.5mm.

P.S. This is for a 987S with Bose.

Rick
rickhuizinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:47 PM   #4

We've been focusing on the area under the cowel but the sound always seems like it comes from the area where the dash meets the windshield. It also seems to be a type of sound of plastic rattling (rather than a metal squeek).
One new observation is that when I removed the hardtop and just have the soft top closed, the rattle has gone away for the time being. However I need to monitor this longer because the first time I heard the rattle was with the top down.
If you have any other observations, please share them...thanks
Old 05-25-2005, 03:19 AM   #5

Talking Rattles annoying arnt they!!

Just for info ... i had the same noise on mine... and could have sworn it was coming from the dash area.. so after alot of time stuck upside down in the drivers seat with my head under the dash (belive it or not i drove it round an airfield like this!!) i finally found the culprit... check your steering colum guys... about half way down there seems to be a small metal pin about 10mm long and 4mm wide (just above the pedals) this when it rattles sounds like a screw that is rattling on plastic...jammed a small piece of paper in there!! no more rattles!!... ok not a really technical fix.. but hey it works!!
Sy Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy Vee
Just for info ... i had the same noise on mine... and could have sworn it was coming from the dash area.. so after alot of time stuck upside down in the drivers seat with my head under the dash (belive it or not i drove it round an airfield like this!!) i finally found the culprit... check your steering colum guys... about half way down there seems to be a small metal pin about 10mm long and 4mm wide (just above the pedals) this when it rattles sounds like a screw that is rattling on plastic...jammed a small piece of paper in there!! no more rattles!!... ok not a really technical fix.. but hey it works!!
I looked under the dash, but could not find the metal pin. Was this for the 986 or 987?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2005, 02:41 AM   #7

986..... run your hand up from where the steering colum exits the floor of the car it seems to be part of a joint on the colum, the pin is about this big [___] ok not an accurate represtentation ..... but you get my drift....
Ps looked at my friend 986 last night.. he also had the same problem.. might try and post a photo of it... if i get a chance this weekend
Sy Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:09 PM   #8

Old 07-01-2005, 03:17 PM   #9

I had always thought that I had a bad rattle in the dash area when I would go over railroad tracks and road imperfections, but RUF Auto Center told me that it was my front swaybar links. They replaced them and now no rattle. Amazing.

:dance:

Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote