Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 03:46 AM   #1

Getting ready for fall color and the Blue Ridge Parkway!

Blue Ridge Run - Google Maps

Planning to head out to the parkway for an overnight trip in two weekends for the first serious road trip in the Boxster! Very excited to make the drive, the fiancee is just as thrilled to be getting out to the mountains for two days!

Any suggestions for stops for food or other sightseeing along the way?

Road trip tips for the Boxster?

jakekit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #2

jealous. sounds nice. maybe i should take the same trip if it's good. let me know.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Jake - That looks like a nice route. Here is a blog of one of the trips I took this summer: Cooling down on the Blue Ridge
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #4

Garage
Nice route,

I'll be heading up to Deals Gap in NC the end of Oct. to do the "Tail of the Dragon - Cherohala Skyway loop.
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #5

I've driven a lot of that route, you are going to pass right thru where my in-laws live (old fort)
Penland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:51 AM   #6

Whip,
Sounds like you found some fun roads! As long as I've lived in NC and as many "fun" cars as I have had, I've never really done a serious length of the parkway. Really looking forward to it. I'm thinking I won't likely get much "enthusiast" driving out of it, but it should still be enjoyable. One thing I've really liked about the Boxster is that I get a big smile even from going a little fast in some low speed corners. So I hope I'll get a little fun in. I did a huge number of track days in my E36 M3 and that has been both good and bad. It's made me realize how silly it is to drive to fast on public roads. It's also made me realize how much fun it is to be on a track. Sadly, the Boxster won't be the car that gets me back out to VIR. Also, your Boxster looks spectacular!

SC,
One of these days I'm going to make it out to the tail!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:48 AM   #7

Don't have suggestions (don't know NC that well) other than...Just Do It. You'll have a blast.

I am envious. Went to school at UVa in the 1970s, and, among my favorite memories was our Fall weekend trips over to Skyline Drive, a beautiful stretch of road a short trip west of us in Charlottesville. One of the people living above us, another student, was a young lady who happened to have a 1969 Camaro convertible. Whenever possible, it was her we tried to coax into doing the driving, and she often complied. It was the perfect platform from which to enjoy the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains. These days, I'd probably say that about the Boxster
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #8

I ive about 1.5 hours from the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'll be doing a parkway run the weekend of Oct. 21 for my girlfriend's birthday. Can't wait. The leaves should be in full color by then.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #9

gm,

Should be a great trip. I'll post a full report once I wrap things up after the weekend. After years of trying to hit the right weekend for color I finally found this info from ASU which is what got my ass in gear to make something happen!

2011 Fall Color Peak Map :: Department of Biology :: Appalachian State University
Old 10-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Jake - I agree, it is fun to push it, but ya never know what is around the next corner. I find the Boxster is a very pleasant ride at 40mph on the parkway. You are coming in north of where I did and will have a very nice drive.

Hopefully you'll have temps in the 60s and 70s, remember the temp drops about 5 degrees per 1000 feet (especially in the summer) though in the fall it can be a little less. I like to put my sweater on and ski cap and ride with the top down all winter. A sunny day in the high 40s is fine with me!

I'm headed to Lake Placid NY next week to see my Mom, wish I could put the Boxster in a suitcase and bring it with me. I'm temped to get an older base model and leave it up there for my visits.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #11

Was on the parkway this weekend. Temp in the 70's with perfectly clear skies. The leaves need another 10 days - 2 weeks for color change but the Parkway is always fun.

It's a drag however getting behind the 25mph grandmas and grandpas.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:56 AM   #12
Rennzenn

Garage
FWIW, the Shenandoah PCA will be doing their Fall Foliage Tour on Sunday, October 30. The tour begins at G&W Motorwerks in Waynesboro and includes a stint on the Parkway. G&W is quite the place. Last year they had the Porsche/Interscope Indy car, an early Brumos 911 RSR, a real 911 R, and the prototype for the '73 Carrera RS on display. The tour is open to any who would like to attend. Have a look here for more info:
Shenandoah Region Porsche Club of America
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:19 AM   #13

Long range forecast for this weekend is still looking good. We'll be bringing caps and scarves for the higher elevations I think. It could be a little chilly. Also found this VERY handy site for those interested in timing.

Fall Color Report :: Department of Biology :: Appalachian State University
2011 Fall Color Peak Map :: Department of Biology :: Appalachian State University

Hope I can avoid some of the slow movers this weekend....
Old 10-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #14

I would recommend a stop in Little Switzerland (down by the Asheville end of your trip). Have lunch at the Little Switzerland Inn. Then take a trip on NC 226A (The Diamondback). It's 190 curves in a 12 mile stretch. On second thought - maybe you better have lunch AFTER that drive !! Great fun and a major change from driving the parkway.

The Little Switzerland Inn was home last year to the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit. Great times !!
silver box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 AM   #15

Silver_box,

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check out that stretch of 226A. I've heard great things about the Little Switzerland Inn. We'll check it out. Right now my biggest decision is to start from the south and heard north or go north to south.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #16

Looks like a fun trip. I just bought a car for my daughter just outside of Greenville, SC and I am using it as an excuse to drive the 997 out there to pick it up this weekend and drive the Tail of the Dragon. A 2,000 mile road trip just to drive 11 miles and 318 turns! Call me crazy but at least I will be able to check it off my bucket list.