Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
pk2

CLUTCH Replacement PARTS and OTHER PARTS while it’s apart???

Hello All

I’m replacing a bum trans. at 40k and obviously want to replace necessary components while I have it cracked open. Barely drive it here in suburbia but when I do, I do kick it around a bit. Don’t need to go over board with racing stuff unless there’s an awful good reason and it’s cost effective for my use.

1-IMS Bearing; LN the only game in town?

2 Clutch (assuming worn 20% or more) what Brand for durability, casual use? Semi Performance?

3 Pressure plate; (why if there is no scoring/wear? Springs or something?) If good reason, brands?

4 Clutch release/throw-out bearing: (mine is shot) Sachs, INA, ??

5 Pilot bearing (is there one?) brand??

6 Gear oil; Symco(?) or….

7 Rear motor mounts?

Again, I’m not racing (but do hoarse around). Performance parts O.K. if not a big premium $$ (may autocross some day though). Just want to get it back on the road for the next 40k mi. (10 yrs.) without paying through the as_ for inferior parts

Regards, PK

Old 05-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Wayne at Pelican Parts has a new replacement IMS bearing coming out any day. His post yesterday said that the bearings are on the way to the warehouse. Check the Boxster formum at PP or the parts catalog for the latest status:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=PEL-IMS-1&catalog_description=Pelican%20M%39%36%20Intermedia te%20Shaft%20Bearing%20%28IMS%29%20Retrofit%20Kit% 2C%20for%20either%20Single%20or%20Dual%20Row%20IMS
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2
Hello All

I’m replacing a bum trans. at 40k and obviously want to replace necessary components while I have it cracked open. Barely drive it here in suburbia but when I do, I do kick it around a bit. Don’t need to go over board with racing stuff unless there’s an awful good reason and it’s cost effective for my use.

1-IMS Bearing; LN the only game in town?

2 Clutch (assuming worn 20% or more) what Brand for durability, casual use? Semi Performance?

3 Pressure plate; (why if there is no scoring/wear? Springs or something?) If good reason, brands?

4 Clutch release/throw-out bearing: (mine is shot) Sachs, INA, ??

5 Pilot bearing (is there one?) brand??

6 Gear oil; Symco(?) or….

7 Rear motor mounts?

Again, I’m not racing (but do hoarse around). Performance parts O.K. if not a big premium $$ (may autocross some day though). Just want to get it back on the road for the next 40k mi. (10 yrs.) without paying through the as_ for inferior parts

Regards, PK
PK,
I recommend you go with an IMS bearing brand that has some history.. Don't go cheap here.
Yes there is a pilot bearing, if you buy a new flywheel (I recommend) it should come with one.
My transmission mounts (rear motor mounts) were fine after 210,000 miles, you should not have a problem here. Have you replaced the front motor mount? Something to consider.

Jager
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
pk2

Thanks guys,

It appears Pelican Parts is just selling is the LN IMS retrofit. I guess if they were doing some some combo deal that you’ all signed off on, based on my criteria, I’d go for it. Otherwise..

Regards, PK
Old 10-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #5

Did I see a new IMS bearing at Pelican today? In the 135 dollar range?
fourcylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Not when I checked. Nothing yet...
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

I thought that I saw a post somewhere on PP saying that the Pelican IMS bearing replacement is on the back burner while Wayne and crew work other higher priority projects. Maybe Wayne will jump in here and clarify.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
pk2

My guess, there's not much of a market for another IMS for 12 yr. old Porsche's.

PK
Old 10-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #9

I had the following done.

IMS LN, RMS seal (cayenne unit), Flywheel (had some scoring and burns probably waited too long), replaced the rear axle boots (both torn - 2 hour book rate). And I use Castrol Syntec 5W-40. Autozone was giving out free filters with every 5 quarts. It was a Puralotor brand but I could see from the markings that it was made in Germany proably a rebranded Mahle. I'm hesitant to use it though. I keep in the car as a just in case.

both the old IMS and RMS were spotless, no play or tears.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote