Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Ex Esso kid

Boxster paperweight

Hi you guys (and gals) long time no typing.. Let me catch you up. I was parking my boxster three weeks ago. I heard no noise but knew something happened. When I got out of the car it was on fire near the header on the driver's rear. The fire was from oil released when whatever happened did happen. The car restarted sounded smooth except a chain like rattle. Shut it down, towed to house. Porsche of course doesn't care about the M96 so I'm on my own...

Additionally, I herniated another disc in my back which has left me with permanent disability in my left leg. I can't shift anymore, I have to give up my Fiat 124 and I'm hoping, to somehow, next spring have my Boxster repaired to give to my cousin who has been helping me take care of my ailing dad..

After that, maybe I'll drive the dreaded PDK, although Zuffenhousen and their cost per mile enjoyed really, truly pissed me off and left me feeling screwed.

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #2

If your car burned your insurance should cover the damage. You don't say what year or mileage you have but, of course, Porsche doesn't cover any issues once off warranty..........like every other manufacturer. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Ex Esso kid

Burn was minimal, don't even think it damaged much at all. Car had 32000 miles, 2.5 engine oil changed at every 3000, in short Porsche should be red faced, if it happened to my Ford I'd be equally pissed. In reflection, I should have kept the 944, could have put a ton in it and come out on top.

Since I can't shift it's moot anyhow, it would help to know if a way to change the ims in the 2.5 without opening the entire case has been developed. Given the cost of a used engine or rebuild the car should be parted out but as I said my cousin deserves it if I can make it happen somehow...

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 09-28-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #4

It's horrible it happened but fire's happen even on new cars occasionally. Again, full-coverage insurance will make you whole and you can sell it if you like. I never liked paperweights. But, if it's toast, you can make most of (or more) of the street value by parting it out. Especially if it was well taken care of.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Ex Esso kid

DS, the fire isn't my issue, the m96 power plant without modification is a longevity lottery plain and simple. If it were a 996 I'd be in Germany now!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Sorry to hear about the Box! When you get a chance, let us know more about whatever you find out with the engine.

Sorry to hear about your back pain too. I had a buldging disk (L5-S1) and was in a lot of pain for about 5 years until I had several epidural injections direct into my spine. That got me on a path to recovery and now I am much better. Hope that the doc's can do something for you.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
Ex Esso kid

I hope to have the engine removed from the car, maybe for shipment to a repair center. My regular mechanic's son is a good wrench, I'm sure he'd look at it. However, I saved the Excellence magazine with the M96 article and the people working on it's various problems have made it clear the repairs require someone with special training. I'm not sure a great regular mechanic is up to the task.

I can't get under it anymore and use any of my skills which is tough to accept, tougher yet is sliding the Fiat to my brother after I rebuilt it in better physical times.

PS I used to work in the pain "injection room" I was the one in the lead apron riding the C arm fluoroscope...That type of therapy wont restore my legs.. I have fractures back there too, it's essentially a badly played game of jenga at this point but I'm alive!!!

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 09-28-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
Carnut

WOW! What a story.

I just recover from my back injury right now so I can relate somehow as to pain and issues like not being able to things like before, not fun.

So, after your car caught on fire your back problem started? That's just bad!

Do you have insurance?
Old 09-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #9
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6 View Post
WOW! What a story.

I just recover from my back injury right now so I can relate somehow as to pain and issues like not being able to things like before, not fun.

So, after your car caught on fire your back problem started? That's just bad!

Do you have insurance?
Actually Andy, in 1983 a woman ran a stop sign, I was launched off my SECA 750 into her windshield, I'm lucky to be here at all. Now all good wrench members start thinking about who I'm shipping this motor to when it's financially feasible or better yet who in central new york besides that crook Rocco knows spit about Porsches...

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 09-29-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Burn was minimal, don't even think it damaged much at all. Car had 32000 miles, 2.5 engine oil changed at every 3000, in short Porsche should be red faced, if it happened to my Ford I'd be equally pissed. In reflection, I should have kept the 944, could have put a ton in it and come out on top.

Since I can't shift it's moot anyhow, it would help to know if a way to change the ims in the 2.5 without opening the entire case has been developed. Given the cost of a used engine or rebuild the car should be parted out but as I said my cousin deserves it if I can make it happen somehow...

Year of the car? if you don't mind.
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisgood View Post
2.5 engine indicates it's at a minimum 12 years old but could be 13 or 14...
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #12

Where in NY are you? If close enough I could swing by and check it out for what its worth. I'm on Long Island.

J
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #13
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisgood View Post
1998 with 5k of extras, GT3 front & lip, litronics, billet Al pedal set, underpulley, SS headers, Dansk SS exhaust, Michelin pilots and more...

Jay I'm up here in the cuse, you know the defectors to the ACC
Old 09-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #14

Quote:
It's my understanding that the 2.5 motors have the early two row IMS bearing, which can be replaced w/o splitting the case. I believe this to be the case with the single row bearings as well, and that it is the MY2006 and later that have the difficult to replace IMS bearings.

More info here at LN's site:
Intermediate Shaft IMS Upgrade and Retrofit Kit for Porsche 911, Boxster, and Cayman models

More importantly, I wish you a speedy recovery with your back issues.

Best of luck,
Aron
Old 09-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #15
Ex Esso kid

Thanks Aron, for the link I'll scope it carefully. The 2.5 is a double row IMS and in the original Excellence article it states the 2.5 must have the case opened for replacement, in fact it's one of the reasons Porsche changed to a single row. I am hoping between the time the article was authored and now that other techniques have been pioneered. Edit* link states both dual and single row units can be replaced without dis assembly. Since I'm not sure what failed in my car it may need to come apart anyhow. When I restarted it it was running smooth just with a chain like rattle so I shut it down immediately, not sure what's wrong with it.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 09-30-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks Aron, for the link I'll scope it carefully. The 2.5 is a double row IMS and in the original Excellence article it states the 2.5 must have the case opened for replacement, in fact it's one of the reasons Porsche changed to a single row. I am hoping between the time the article was authored and now that other techniques have been pioneered. Edit* link states both dual and single row units can be replaced without dis assembly. Since I'm not sure what failed in my car it may need to come apart anyhow. When I restarted it it was running smooth just with a chain like rattle so I shut it down immediately, not sure what's wrong with it.
Ghostrider,

You are correct that the 2.5s have a double row bearing, however this is a "serviceable" bearing in that it can be removed w/o splitting the case. Porsche returned to a double row bearing in 2006, but this later style cannot be replaced w/o opening the case so yours should replaceable assuming this is related to the noises you heard.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #17
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron in Toronto View Post
Ghostrider,

You are correct that the 2.5s have a double row bearing, however this is a "serviceable" bearing in that it can be removed w/o splitting the case. Porsche returned to a double row bearing in 2006, but this later style cannot be replaced w/o opening the case so yours should replaceable assuming this is related to the noises you heard.
Aron, I'm wondering if it might not be the timing chain, tensioner or the bearing. I was lucky, it failed at idle while parking. For some reason without thinking I decided to restart it as I wasn't really sure what happened. The engine, respective to the way a normal rev would sound was smooth, tight and as regular other than a jingle/rattle, I immediately shut it down and that's it's current state. I have to chuckle, I used the heavier lubricants, changed the oil and filter with ludicrous frequency and even put magnets on the filter case... It was used and although I drove it with respect who knows how it started life.

Tony

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 09-30-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #18

Look at the oil filter and pull the sump plate to see whats in there. If theres lots of metal, then its probably the IMSB. Mightt be worth a try to replace the bearing, flush the motor with a couple of quick oil changes and pray the metal didn't get pumped through the motor.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #19
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Look at the oil filter and pull the sump plate to see whats in there. If theres lots of metal, then its probably the IMSB. Mightt be worth a try to replace the bearing, flush the motor with a couple of quick oil changes and pray the metal didn't get pumped through the motor.
Thank you for the input...