Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 01:19 AM   #1

new water pump

What is normal operating temp for a 2000 Boxster S? I just replaced the coolant pump (easy as pie) and wanna make sure everything is where it ought to be. Mine is running 185-190°F now. That's close enough to mid-scale to make me think it's normal, but I don't know. I'd driven the car close to 2k miles since I bought it, and I never really noted the exact temp, but knew it was ~mid scale. I'm new to Porsche and new to the forum. Any help is the right kind.
Also, I only drained ~2 gallons out to replace the pump (used clamps) and I topped off with distilled water and ~.8 gallons PEAK antifreeze. I'm not scared of purging and refilling, and the temp around here never gets below 10°F. I'm tempted to run almost antifreeze free. But do i need to worry about gumming with my current mish-mash of antifreeze??

Last edited by trendrenderj; 09-15-2011 at 01:23 AM.
trendrenderj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:44 AM   #2

Mine ('01 S), once warmed, resides in the 180 or a hair over region. You're fine, I should think. Many here advocate removing the front bumper and flushing out the radiators, which tend to collect a lot of stuff over the years, inhibiting the cooling process. It's been on my "To Do" list for a couple of years now.

I don't recall offhand if "Peak" is an acceptable alternative to the Porsche antifreeze, but I'm thinkin' it may not be. They (alternatives) do exist. Do a search here on "antifreeze" and you'll get all kinds of info. (Here's a start: http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9112&page=1&pp=20) Mixing them can definitely be a problem. The stuff lasts a long time...I just bite the bullet and pony up the bucks for the expensive Porsche product.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote