Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #1

Garage
OBC Question

I found a steering stock with a OBC arm on it at a local salvage yard. My question is can I install it on my non-OBC car. I understand that I can "turn on" my OBC with software but I don't know if all I need is the arm to page through the different info. I looked at the steering column and it has a rubber plug so I figure the arm must just plug in...right?

Old 09-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #2

haven't done it myself (I used the OBC hack by which you add additional buttons) but I would be pretty sure that it works
Just be damn careful when removing the steering wheel when you replace the stalk so that you don't set off the airbag
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #3

Garage
If you are just adding the OBC ( not cruise) then you should be able to remove the OBC stalk from the one you just received and add it to your column stalk without removing it from the car. No need to remove steering wheel . It is only attached by 2 screws (torx IIRC ). Add wiring and get it enabled. Go to Renntech.org and search OBC hack for detailed info. There is different wiring pinouts depending on year and 03 up takes an extra step on the PST2 to enable.
Pirate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #4

Garage
Cool, thanks Pirate. The stock is an '03 and I have an '04. On my way to Renntech.org .
Old 10-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #5

Garage
Got my four position steering stock from an Ebay member, ended up paying $30...not bad since the OBC stock alone is $180 for the dealer. I ordered my $20 worth of wires and one connector and got some good news. I was planning on going to my local dealer or Dumonts in OKC to get my OBC activated but I visited the Durametric website first. They just came out with a beta version 6.0, and that has the OBC activation software. I downloaded the update for free and this will end up costing me $50 for the OBC option...sweet.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #6

Let me know how the Durametrics software works out. I purchased on a few months ago and we could never get the OBC (2004 Std 986) turned on so I returned the unit.

It would be nice if they could get it working.

Thanks,
gsrhoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #7

Garage
Thumbs up

Will do, just got the wires and connector from Sunset today. Weather here is way to nice to tear down the P, I'd rather ride in the 75 degree sunshine all I can. I'll wait until the weather turns to crap...then I'll IM you and post the results.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #8

Garage
Just enabled the On Board Computer (OBC) and installed the fourth stock on the steering column tonight. Pretty easy but I would suggest using ALL 009 wires. One of the hacks I used for the install said to use three 009 and two 010 wires, that's BS! The wire harness behind the instrument cluster has some high tech connectors, pretty ingenious Porsche.

The software from Durametrics worked well, I just didn't have patience and when it didn't work right away I was on the phone asking WTF? Turns out, to enable the OBC you need to give the computer time to activate it. Nice to save a few bucks and a ride to the dealership for activation with no aggravation.

I love having more info at my fingertips now.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 10-06-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #9

OBC steering stalk installation

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post! I'm trying to have the OBC with Steering stalk switch installed on my 2000 Boxster. A couple of questions:

If you were able to install the fourth (OBC control) steering column stalk, without removing the steering wheel, how did you fish the wires through the steering column back to the instrument cluster?

Anyone in the SF Bay Area (esp. Peninsula) willing to do this for a fee?

I have the OBC apparently activated (outside temp. is displayed), and I bought a 4-stalk module from a dismantler. I'd be glad to pay someone who is experienced to help me with this. My local independent mechanic is willing, but has no experience, and warns that when removing the steering wheel the airbag "clips" (can't recall the exact part name) can break, and this would mean purchasing a new ~$250 part.

Thanks!

Boxsterenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote