Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
l3m

Driving her home this weekend

I've been a member here for more than a year now. I thought I was going to be a Porsche owner last year but it didn't work out. I've been reading and learning a lot from your posts. PM'd Randall a couple of times. This is a great forum indicative of the owners and members that support it. I'm glad to be part of it.

I'll be purchasing an 01 S this Friday in Michigan and driving her back to Houston this weekend. I'll be the 2nd owner. It has 1K miles on the engine and 30K on the body. The engine was replaced in 2004 (engine recall) and it's been stored inside since then, maybe driven occasionally and oil changed once a year. PPI came out ok. I'm having an oil change, brake fluid change, and alignment done this week. I'll be buying her new tires on Friday. It's Artic Silver, black top with some nice options. I thought about doing the IMS upgrade right away but decided to wait till clutch change. I think through regular oil changes and checking the oil filter, I'll be fine. Oh, and spirited driving as well.

Anyone know of good hotel in the Memphis area?

l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:59 AM   #2

Garage
Congratulations, and welcome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3m
http://www.peabodymemphis.com/

Say "hi" to the ducks, and there's blues nearby at Beale Street.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #3

Congratulations. I just got my 986 9 months ago. Fun car.

As for buying it from MI. Michigan gets lots of snow, which means lots of salt, which means rust.

Make sure you wash the undercarriage of the Boxster to wash any left over salt and try to avoid wetting spark plugs.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
l3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S

http://www.peabodymemphis.com/

Say "hi" to the ducks, and there's blues nearby at Beale Street.
I would love to stay here but it's over my budget. I will suggest to the wife to try out Blues Cafe. Thanks for your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96
Make sure you wash the undercarriage of the Boxster to wash any left over salt and try to avoid wetting spark plugs.
The person I'm buying it from was my former neighbor for 12 years. He never took his Porsches out in the winter time. Thanks for your concern. I think I'll have her professionally detailed after the trip.

Anyone selling a new pair of Porsche floor mats?

Last edited by l3m; 08-30-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #5

Somebody moved TO MI?

Good for you on the Boxster you will really enjoy it.
btw - I have new in the box, black w/ red lettering floor mats.
PM me if interested.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #6

Garage
Spare

Check the spare tire before starting the trip to Houston!

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
Check the spare tire before starting the trip to Houston!
+1 and make sure you have the "keys" incase you have the locking lug nuts. I bought mine out of town too and the spare, although never used, was flat.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:15 AM   #8
l3m

Urban, I sent you a pm.

Jager and gforrest, thanks for your tips. This is going to be exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time.

I bought a used Colgan bra that I will install before the trip. Not a fan of black bras but I hate bug guts and rock chips and I want to protect the front fascia as much as possible.

Last edited by l3m; 08-31-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #9

Garage
Welcome to the forum. I joined a few months ago and the advice and information from this site is extremely useful.

BTW - I checked my spare tire last month when replacing the "shoes" on my '03 S and found it flat.

Have a safe trip back to Texas
paulcbiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:17 AM   #10

Sounds like you found a "peach"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3m
I've been a member here for more than a year now. I thought I was going to be a Porsche owner last year but it didn't work out. I've been reading and learning a lot from your posts. PM'd Randall a couple of times. This is a great forum indicative of the owners and members that support it. I'm glad to be part of it.

I'll be purchasing an 01 S this Friday in Michigan and driving her back to Houston this weekend. I'll be the 2nd owner. It has 1K miles on the engine and 30K on the body. The engine was replaced in 2004 (engine recall) and it's been stored inside since then, maybe driven occasionally and oil changed once a year. PPI came out ok. I'm having an oil change, brake fluid change, and alignment done this week. I'll be buying her new tires on Friday. It's Artic Silver, black top with some nice options. I thought about doing the IMS upgrade right away but decided to wait till clutch change. I think through regular oil changes and checking the oil filter, I'll be fine. Oh, and spirited driving as well.

The dude is offline   Reply With Quote