Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #1

Is it ok to tow my boxster using a tow dolly?

i know that manual says that it's not recommended, but what do you guys think? it's only 60 miles, i was planning lift the back wheels using a u haul tow dolly.

juicepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:04 AM   #2

60 miles? If it runs/drives, why not just buy a friend dinner and have them follow you in your other car whilst you drive the Boxster. Or pull a few plugs and call AAA for a tow (they'll go up to 100mi IIRC).

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:13 AM   #3

The Boxster can not be towed that distance. I think you are going to need to push it.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #4

If it's stick yes you could, but the nose sticks out more than most cars and I am not sure it will clear the tow dolly. I would have it flat bedded.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:57 AM   #5

thanks for the advise guys, I'm going to rent the auto transport instead. That way I'll have all 4 wheels off the ground, stay on the safe side.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:33 AM   #6

According to AAA, they cannot use a dolly to tow the Boxster. They only use the flatbed for it.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #7

For an extra $10 per day, the auto transport is well worth it. I am renting one next Tuesday to tow my Boxster 40 miles to go get an IMS retrofit kit, clutch, and RMS installed. The only reason I am towing it, is that I recently found ferrous metal flakes in my filter (see photo below), after my last oil change, which might be an indication of an impending IMS failure. As a precaution, I will not even attempt to start the car and drive it onto the auto transport, so I will pull it on using the front screw-in tow hook.
Attached Images

Last edited by ubii; 09-01-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: attached a photo
ubii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #8

Snap "ubii". i'm also renting mine on tuesday for the exact same reason, i'm taking it to CT auto in campell ca. same situation dealer found metal flakes in oil filter along with some excess vibriation from the engine.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #9

Waiting sucks :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicepro
Snap "ubii". i'm also renting mine on tuesday for the exact same reason, i'm taking it to CT auto in campell ca. same situation dealer found metal flakes in oil filter along with some excess vibriation from the engine.
Any news on on your car yet? Mine is still in the shop and I am hoping to get it back on Tuesday. When they dropped the sump cover, they did not find any metal debris, but did find plenty of brown plastic chunks. The chain tensioner paddles were all ate up, so they replaced them. The IMS bearing was showing signs of failure, as there was bearing debris present, when they removed it. The clutch was pretty much toast, so they replaced it as well. I decided to have them install a LN Engineering 160F low temperature thermostat and a RSS lightweight underdrive pulley. I had previously planned on installing these myself, but since they already had everything torn apart, I just had them do it. Once the last of the parts arrive on Monday, they will start working on re-installing the engine and transmission.