Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #1

Red face Ac/heat Controls

Ok, They say there are no dumb question but i may have one anyway.

I totally get the Air/Heat controls on the control center when you have the controls on AUTO. On auto when you set the temp to 71 degrees it will do what it needs to keep the cabin temp at 71 degrees, air or heat. But my question is, when you turn off the AUTO ability, why does a temperature stay on the display? It becomes completely manual at that point and I can only adjust the fan speed and where the air flows ie. top, center, or bottom. What does adjusting the temperature do at that point. Does is simply mean that if it is 90 degrees out and it is set to 71 that it will cool until I turn the fan down. If it is 30 degrees out and the temp is set to 71 does it heat until i turn the fan down to the desired temp i want? If it gets over 75 degrees will it keep heating the cabin until i turn down the heat?

Told you it was stupid, but most cars have a blue/red knob to control your heat along with a fan speed.

Any comments.

Last edited by fullthrottle52; 08-29-2011 at 04:59 PM.
fullthrottle52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #2

The blue/red knob is the thermostat just not with digital numbers. Anything else will have to come from an hvac guru. I see no reason to use anything else but auto or off.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #3

If you set the manual temp to 70, it will continually blow 70 and not adjust the fan speed.

If you set auto 70, it will adjust fan speed faster or slower(what ever necessary to get to that temperature the fastest.
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:34 AM   #4

The temperature numbers on the display correlate to how much the heater valve (which supplies coolant to the heater core) is open.

Cheers!

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote