Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #1

Boxster vs Boxster S Brake Calipers & Rotors

I'm planning on tracking my car which is a 2000 boxster and I wanted to know if the front brake caliper and rotor size difference between the 986 & 986s is enough to justify buying the "S" calipers and rotors. And I also wanted to know if the rear calipers and rotors are the same size on the 986 & 986s.

Thanks.

Akie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
This is a frequent topic with lots of prior info so a search through the site may be useful to bring you up to speed.

FWIW all the Boxster Spec race cars are on stock base calipers so you don't need to go to "S" brakes to track your car but many want "S" brakes anyways. Bottom line: "S" Brakes have more heat soak capability but not shorter stopping distance. Stopping distance is mostly a function of weight and tire grip.

Good luck in your search.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #3

The front "S" rotor and caliper are a bolt on swap; the rears are not and will require substantial (and expensive) changes to make them fit.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

Thanks for the valuable insight guys I really appreciate it. On a side note, disregarding weight is the optimum wheel diameter size for track cars 18"? Because I have noticed in nearly all the big sports car racing series they all seem to run 18" wheels. And I checked Michelins race tires and they only offer 18" race tires. Also every gt3 cup/R/RSR runs 18"s so if 18"s are optimal why?
Akie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

From my experience on the track, I would suggest that the base Boxster calipers are more than sufficient for track use; there is no need to upgrade to the "S" calipers.

Instead, use the money to install a more track-oriented brake pad, replace the stock brake fluid with a high temp brake fluid, and install the larger GT-3 brake ducts. Oh, and pull the brake wear sensors from the pads and tie wrap them up and out of the way to avoid melting the sensors.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akie
Thanks for the valuable insight guys I really appreciate it. On a side note, disregarding weight is the optimum wheel diameter size for track cars 18"? Because I have noticed in nearly all the big sports car racing series they all seem to run 18" wheels. And I checked Michelins race tires and they only offer 18" race tires. Also every gt3 cup/R/RSR runs 18"s so if 18"s are optimal why?
The fastest Boxsters on the west coast are running 17" wheels. No problem sourcing race rubber and it is less money in 17" sizes.