Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #1

ORVR Valve location: 2000 Boxster?

Okay, so I'm hot on the trail of my problem fueling the Box... After hours of diagnostics I've come to the conclusion that the ORVR Valve is shorting out my Reed (magnetic) switch and hindering it from opening the vent so I can fill my tank.

Is this ORVR vent at the tank? Its not in the wheel well anywhere. If I take the battery out I cannot see much in the way of valves etc...

I'm at the end of the rope here guys.... I've been through the whole E6 fuse thing etc...

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #2

PROBLEM SOLVED After 4 years of dealing withi
It!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
PROBLEM SOLVED After 4 years of dealing withi
It!
Care to share?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #4

In a Nutshell... I haven’t been able to fill the tank over ½ full for at least 3-4 years.

I did the usual search and checked fuse E6, nope, that wasn't the problem.
Then I was told it was maybe a blocked flap from slipped tubes in the tank. I went through that scenario as well. (Which by the way is not for post 2000 models, I found that out later) I removed the fuel filler tube, fuel sender and fuel pump... inspected everything etc. Everything was fine!
Now what?
I started to take all the check valves apart to inspect... The charcoal canister etc... again, it all looked and worked fine. I was stumped. Next step was to check continuity of all the electronically controlled vent valve wires and to see if the valves themselves even worked independently. At this point I enlisted the help of my father-In-Law. He's an electrician by trade and a shade tree mechanic. All the valves worked when we gave them direct power to the battery.
So we studied the wire diagram for the ORVR system... then started to splice wires.

This is how the tank vent is supposed to work:
Gas nozzle goes in, hits flapper, flapper opens magnetic "reed" switch that is mounted to the outside of the filler tube, the reed switch tells two electric valves to open. One valve is on the tank (under battery to the right) and the other is in a box in the front right tire well (between tire and bumper). This whole process opens venting to allow the tank to fill.
My problem was that wherever the reed switch was engaged the signal was shorting out and not bringing enough volts back to activate the vent valves. Somewhere deep in the firewall there’s a terminal that ties these all together. That connection was either loose or corroded and was taking all the voltage from the ORVR system but not blowing a fuse. We ended up cutting that terminal out of the equation by running a direct wire from the vent valves to the reed switch! Everything works perfect now!
This took longer than anything I've ever fixed on a car, and I've done a LOT. My timing belt on my Audi may have been a little harder though

I know it sounds confusing... I still have a hard time understanding, but thankfully I can fill the tank now
Old 08-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

My car is a 2000 as well. I have trouble with the tank pressure tripping the trigger on the gas filler nozzle if I go to a station with a vapor recovery hood on the nozzle. No problems if the nozzle isn't covered. I'm wondering if I have a similar problem.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #6

If you don't hear the "click" and your fuse at location E6 is good... You probably do! Let me know if and when you dig deeper into the problem and i see if I can remember enough to help!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
If you don't hear the "click" and your fuse at location E6 is good... You probably do! Let me know if and when you dig deeper into the problem and i see if I can remember enough to help!
Yup, I've already checked and I get the click.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #8

Both valves click... So just because you hear a "click" might not mean the system is working. As we were fixing my system I heard the click... Good thing I didn't put everything back together because the valve at the tank (ORVR) valve was not getting power and/or clicking. When you get into the project you'll have to figure out if both are clicking. Start with the valve by the front right wheel well in front of the tire (easiest one to check). You'll have to remove the tire and wheel liner of course. It's located at the back of the headlight. If that valve is working check the one under the battery next to the opening to the fuel tank where the sending unit is. It's on top of the tank next to the sending unit lid, surround by foam. You can take the battery tray out and position the battery back in (obviously) and then feel for the valve opening while a friend/family opens the flap on the fuel neck.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Both valves click... So just because you hear a "click" might not mean the system is working. As we were fixing my system I heard the click... Good thing I didn't put everything back together because the valve at the tank (ORVR) valve was not getting power and/or clicking. When you get into the project you'll have to figure out if both are clicking. Start with the valve by the front right wheel well in front of the tire (easiest one to check). You'll have to remove the tire and wheel liner of course. It's located at the back of the headlight. If that valve is working check the one under the battery next to the opening to the fuel tank where the sending unit is. It's on top of the tank next to the sending unit lid, surround by foam. You can take the battery tray out and position the battery back in (obviously) and then feel for the valve opening while a friend/family opens the flap on the fuel neck.
I'm definitely getting the click in the wheel well. I'll have to check the top of the fuel tank.