Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 04:00 AM   #21
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller
Good luck on the 993. I've looked at a few 993 Targas also, not a big fan of their clunky looking stock wheels but that could easily be fixed. They supposedly are like that due to the extra weight of the glass roof. The C4S's have gotten downright expensive IMO, those rear hips almost make them worth it though. TruSpeed always seems to have some very nice examples. As I'm sure you are aware, often the hunt is more fun than the purchase.....

Wow, you captured my thoughts on all counts. Really struggling with the Targa/C4s decision. I would change the Targa wheels out pretty quick if I got one even though its sort of considered sacrilege among the Targa guys.

It's a lot easier to find a nice C4s right now than a Targa though......funny how that works because even though they are a lot more plentiful they are also more expensive!

2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:19 AM   #22
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts
sierramoto,

Since you went there I feel the need to explain my side of our discussions involving my Boxster S since I've been on this forum for years. Almost immediately after I listed the car, I had 3 pretty quick calls on it. All potential buyers expressed interest. Sierramoto was the 3rd caller, but seemed to express the most interest of the three callers and over a day or two period we swapped some additional pictures and I gave him contact info for my local Porsche mechanic who was familiar with the car (I later found out he called the mechanic who said very nice things about the car and me). On one of our calls I expressly told sierramoto that I was surprised that I had as much interest as I did as quickly as I did, and that there were other interested parties but that none had made a formal offer. We also discussed some of the concerns he had about how he might get the vehicle if he decided to purchase it since he was on the other side of the country. All was very cordial and sierramoto seemed very good to deal with.

Late Tues night I received another call from the 1st caller and the 2nd caller. Both expressed more interest in the car and asked for more details. At this point still no formal offer on the car from anyone. Early last Wed Sierramoto sent me an email indicating he was very interested in the car and was likely going to make an offer. First he wanted to make arrangements to get a friend to come by and see the car. At that point which was about 2pm eastern on Wed, I emailed him back that other buyers were interested and that although I had no issue (in fact encouraged a PPI or having a friend come by) that I had concerns the car may not last if he needed to take a while to decide. I even expressed to sierromoto that I would love to end up dealing with him on the purchase as he seemed like he would be easier to work with than one of the other potential buyers.

I did not hear from sierramoto for the rest of Wed either by email or phone. On Wed night the 1st caller called back and wanted the car and made me a more than acceptable offer. I mentioned to him I had been in discussions with another buyer. The gentleman asked me if I had gotten any offers from that buyer, to which I could only respond no, that sierramoto had only indicated he probably would make and offer. At that point the 1st caller indicated he would have full payment verification to me on Thursday and would fly in to pick up the car on Friday and would make the transaction simple for me (he lived a lot closer to me than sierramoto). I accepted his offer to buy the car.

I got his payment verification on Thursday afternoon (still no call or email from sierramoto at this point). Once payment was verified I emailed sierramoto with the news and appologies but I could not turn down money in hand to wait for him to decide. I even went so far as to recommend another car like mine he might be able to buy (I know another 550 owner that was planning to sell his car this fall whose car is very, very similar to mine in modifications, etc). I did follow through with that and my understanding is that seller has already contacted sierramoto.

The transaction closed last Friday and the 1st caller did everything he said he would....I picked him up at the airport, we went through the car, he decided it was as advertised, gave me the cash and drove home on Friday. Once the deal closed I removed my Autotrader ad and posted the car sold here and on Rennlist (the 2 other places I had advertised).

After I emailed sierramoto that the car was sold, he has since called me a few times and left messages for me to call him to "discuss matters". Honestly, I don't see the point. A formal offer was accepted and the car is gone. There is nothing I can do at this point and nothing I would have done at the point the money was verified on Thursday and the 1st caller had gotten a plane ticket.

I honestly do feel bad sierramoto didn't get the car. However, I've put off potential buyers on other cars before because I was in "negotiations"with someone else only to lose the negotiating party and then lose the other potential buyers as well because they found something else in the meantime. In this instance sierramoto never made any kind of formal offer, or monetary offer of any kind for that matter. He was simply in the unfortunate situation of wanting a car that a more aggressive buyer also wanted.

I feel blessed that I had this much interest in the car so quickly and simply could not turn down "cash in hand" to wait for an offer from sierramoto which may or may not have worked out.

Ultimately the 1st caller was a older gentleman (and a war vet no less) who told me this would likely be the last Porsche he purchased in his lifetime. I didn't know any of this until he arrived to pick up the car. He was pleased with the car and I was pleased he got it. I feel comfortable it will be very well taken care of.

Sorry for the novel, but I do not plan to PM or call sierramoto.

sierramoto, good luck with your search for another car. I hope it works out well for you.

Mike
It sounds like you conducted yourself appropriately. It sounds like you sold the car on the only offer that you received. However, you have the right to sell the car to anyone you want, be it the first offer or the tenth. You can decide not to sell the car to someone who made an offer because you don't like his haircut. It doesn't matter. It's your car and until the bill of sale is signed, you can do whatever you want with it and you don't have to make any explainations or excusses for yourself.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:27 AM   #23
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
It sounds like you conducted yourself appropriately. It sounds like you sold the car on the only offer that you received. However, you have the right to sell the car to anyone you want, be it the first offer or the tenth. You can decide not to sell the car to someone who made an offer because you don't like his haircut. It doesn't matter. It's your car and until the bill of sale is signed, you can do whatever you want with it and you don't have to make any explainations or excusses for yourself.
Thanks for your comments. I honestly do feel badly that this gentlemen feels like I treated him unfairly. I hope he finds another suitable vehicle quickly.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #24

^ reminds me of selling my last car. I posted an ad online and no kidding, within 60 seconds my cell phone rang. The guy was already trying to make a lower offer. I guess he didn't realize his negotiating skills were not well-honed. You usually wait an hour to make a low-ball offer.
Eventually one guy begged and pleaded with me but he had some issues getting the money since he wasn't in the lower 48. I felt bad. But then another guy appears who reminded of that big guy on that comedy show with David Spade about the couples and says: "Dude you're going to sell the car to me because I will pay you in cash as soon as I step off this flight I'm booking now".

After a few calls I had to tell him straight away, "I have other offers on this car for my asking price. So please no last minute cash-waving for a lower offer at the airport. I'd hate for you to fly back without the car". Sure enough the guy calls me on the phone "at terminal B come and pick me up". That guy wasted no time once he knew he had competition. Some guys just buy sight unseen while others take their time to be 100% sure this is what they want. That's risky when you're dealing with limited edition cars.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #25

Congrats on the sale. If he was that interested in your car but wanted to be safe, he could have scratched you a down payment to hold it. You have nothing to regret. Money talks, BS walks.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #26
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Congrats on the sale. If he was that interested in your car but wanted to be safe, he could have scratched you a down payment to hold it. You have nothing to regret. Money talks, BS walks.
+1
No money down on the car, no claim to first rights to buy it.

Early bird gets the worm, you snooze you lose, he who hesitates is lost. There are good reasons to delay or stall a purchase when negotiating a deal where the selling price is high, but a sweet car at a sweet price with other potential buyers in the mix requires swift action.

Good luck with your next Porsche mts. Please no 993 Targa though. It's a chick car.