Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #1

Clouds of smoke on start up

I've owned an '01 Boxster for 9 months now, and bought it with low miles but patchy service history. I have had the oil changed twice and fitted new ignition packs. I regularly monitor the oil level and there is no appreciable loss.

I am therefore confused more than concerned that, every so often, on start up, a cloud of smoke, obviously burnt oil, erupts from the exhaust. It lasts a few seconds and the engine runs as sweetly as ever. It doesn't happen on every start, and the engine has never sounded rough. There is no smoke at all afetr a few seconds.

Is this a typical problem, or a symptom of something sinister?

Thanks for any views!

Najp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #2

It could be a few things, but first guess would be the AOS (air oil separator). A quick check to tell if it is this is to start the engine and then remove the oil filler cap. If there is a strong vacuum when you are removing the cap, then the AOS is failing.
Search on here for AOS, Lots of info.
Pinarelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #3

normal. especially after a "short" drive. oil sits in the chamber is is burnt off when started.

if it looks like a james bond car every time you start or while driving, then it could be the AOS. do the oil cap test as pin suggested.

mike focke has a good write up (where the image above came from) located on his web site:

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/airoilseparatorreplacement
Old 08-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #4

Do you park on a grade?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Najp24
I've owned an '01 Boxster for 9 months now, and bought it with low miles but patchy service history. I have had the oil changed twice and fitted new ignition packs. I regularly monitor the oil level and there is no appreciable loss.

I am therefore confused more than concerned that, every so often, on start up, a cloud of smoke, obviously burnt oil, erupts from the exhaust. It lasts a few seconds and the engine runs as sweetly as ever. It doesn't happen on every start, and the engine has never sounded rough. There is no smoke at all afetr a few seconds.

Is this a typical problem, or a symptom of something sinister?

Thanks for any views!
Notice that it happens every time if the previous time it was on, you started the car and moved it a few feet and turned it off. This is normal behavior. If you don't want it to happen anymore, don't start the car if it's not going to get a chance to warm up. In fact, you shouldn't start it for alot of reasons if it's not going to be able to warm up.

Last edited by blue2000s; 08-12-2011 at 12:48 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #6

^^ Yeah, it's verboten to start your car and back it out of the garage into the driveway.

As others have stated, the occasional puff of smoke is not unusual... my '03 does it. Laying down a smoke screen is worse, but that doesn't sound like what you're describing.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #7

I know this reply is a little late, but as long as the blue smoke is only at startup, clears almost immediately and only happens occasionally, then what you are experiencing is nothing to worry about. To quote a Porsche mechanic friend of mine, "Yeah, they all do that sometimes!"

Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote