Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #1

hazard switch removal

I did a search and didn't find anything really on this.

I want to remove the shield over the instrument cluster and the only thing that i'm struggling with is the hazard light switch. How in the heck does this get removed? It seems that you can't pull the wired connector from behind as its locked in via some plastic moldings. I tried to squeeze the two prongs from the front side but it still did not budge.

Any help will be appreciated

Cheers

Mark

Appleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #2

IIRC (it's been a while since I've done this) you pull the switch button out delicately by grabbing it on both sides. Then there is a (maybe 2) torx screws holding the switch housing in place. Remove those, disconnect and you'll be good to go. Once it's all free, make sure you use extra caution while removing as there are some VERY sharp clips/pins on the underside of the cluster which can and will easy scratch your dash. Have towels for placement at the ready.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #3

First ...

... you pry out the plastic piece with the Delta (I guess you already did because you're looking at the connector.
Then, using two small flat screwdrivers, wedge them into each one of the tabs so they release.
Now using small pliers, grab the white plastic and pull out.
The trick is to have both tabs actuated, then pulling the switch doesn't require a lot of force.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 07-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #4

Burg, YDRC (you don't remember correctly) ;) ...

... no torx on this one, jut plastic tabs.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro
Old 07-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #5

Wow!

Thanks for the quick reply's guys. I greatly appreciate it. This forum is awesome with the wealth of knowledge and the openness of sharing. Very cool!

I'll give it a try Pedro. I thought that it couldn't be as difficult as I was making it out to be.

Cheers everyone!

Mark
Old 07-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #6

and as stated, watch those sharp things on the bottom of the surround (you can't see them unless you flip it over.

they'll booger up your leather dash pretty darn quick if you're not careful (experience... )
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon
... no torx on this one, jut plastic tabs.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro
Well... my memory fails me more times than I can remember

Torx screw behind the switch then, no? Been some time since I worked on a 986 in that area but seem to recall a mounting point in that area.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #8

Question Hazard Flasher

I'm new to the forum and also new to the Porsche 986. I thought I would post here to find out more about the functional part of the Hazard switch. The switch in my car is pushed in and I need a screwdriver to pop out the switch cover. At this time the hazard lamps start to blink. Isn't there supposed to be some sort of spring mechanism to enable me to use the hazard flasher without having to use a screw driver. If anyone should know it's a fellow Porsche owner.
Frst986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleguy
Thanks for the quick reply's guys. I greatly appreciate it. This forum is awesome with the wealth of knowledge and the openness of sharing.
You do realize that the closest forum member to your home is going to show up late one night in the next 72 hours and you'll have no choice but to give them beer. A lot of beer.

I wish it were me, you being an Apple guy and all. I too am a long-time Apple fan

BTW, I see you're from California. If you are Steve Jobs, I'll definitely be dropping by after I fly in for the occasion and btw, I will want something much nicer than beer. Stock up.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frst986
I'm new to the forum and also new to the Porsche 986. I thought I would post here to find out more about the functional part of the Hazard switch. The switch in my car is pushed in and I need a screwdriver to pop out the switch cover. At this time the hazard lamps start to blink. Isn't there supposed to be some sort of spring mechanism to enable me to use the hazard flasher without having to use a screw driver. If anyone should know it's a fellow Porsche owner.
Sounds like your hazard switch needs replacing. Not hard to do. Order the part from Sunset in Oregon (probably your best price) and replace it.

You probably need to invest in a Bentley repair manual. Makes great late night reading.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Sounds like your hazard switch needs replacing. Not hard to do. Order the part from Sunset in Oregon (probably your best price) and replace it.

You probably need to invest in a Bentley repair manual. Makes great late night reading.
Thanks for the help, I thought the switch might need replacing. BTW I do have the Bentley repair manual, but obviously didn't read enough to confirm my suspicions.
Frst986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
You do realize that the closest forum member to your home is going to show up late one night in the next 72 hours and you'll have no choice but to give them beer. A lot of beer.

I wish it were me, you being an Apple guy and all. I too am a long-time Apple fan

BTW, I see you're from California. If you are Steve Jobs, I'll definitely be dropping by after I fly in for the occasion and btw, I will want something much nicer than beer. Stock up.
The bar is fully stocked with libations for whomever stops by. And no I'm not SJ, however I do see him every now and then

Cheers
Old 08-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #13

Frst986, my comment about the Bentley manual was more for guidance on how to swap it out, not diagnose the problem. I come here to the forum myself for diagnosis

That manual makes me feel like superman. After reading about a repair I actually think I'm as good as Hans, my mechanic. :dance:

Of course, this couldn't be further from the truth!