Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #1

clutch release point

Hi everyone,

First time test driving a boxster s the other day and noticed the clutch catch point is about half way out. Is this normal for all boxsters? Is it possible to adjust the engagement point so that it catches when you release the clutch 1/4 of the way?

ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #2

Garage
1. Yes, 1/2 way is normal
2. Not to my knowledge, it is a hydraulic clutch and not adjustable other than by bleeding and shares the same fluid as the brake system so the answer is no based on my experience.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #3

Truth be told, the last time I drove a manual was a year ago for a few days and that is the extent of my manual experience. I never properly learned how to drive a manual nor was I ever taught. All self learned.

With that being said, is it harmful on the clutch if/when switching gears to only press the pedal in half way just past the engaging point before a seach shift? Or is it best to press all the way, every single time?
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

I am with you brother! I like to have the engagement point a little lower also. But it seems the normal engagement point is somewhere around 1/3 to 1/2 of the way up on most Boxsters. Seems to depend on what clutch is installed (stock or non-stock) and how many miles are on it.

There is no way to adjust the engagement point, so if you don't like the feel of a particular clutch then you may have to consider another Boxster.

You don't have to go all the way to the floor for each shift, just going past the engagement point is sufficient to allow for a smooth and easy shift. Once you buy the car, work on your heel-and-toe technique for equally smooth downshifts.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #5

Garage
It is taking off from a stop where your technique is more important to the life of the clutch. As noted, for upward shifts you only need to push the pedal far enough to get the job done. if you have a lightweight flywheel then rev matching is important for smooth shifts upward and to reduced wear on the clutch. For downshifting heel and toe or at least rev matching are paramount to proper driving of the car (see threads on engine braking on downshifts). If you can't manage those techniques then simply push in the clutch and brake and when you get to a stop start over again.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #6

The high engagment bothered when I first bought the car, but I don't even notice it now. That's despite the fact that I drive 3 different manual trans. cars, each with a very different clutch feel, and height.

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote