Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Clarksville, Tn
Posts: 339
Anybody been tracking the Manual vs. PDK in Panorama??

Been following the last couple issues and read July's final verdict...Pretty funny actually. If you haven't been keeping up, you need to read this one.

Right out of the shoot the quotes from Porsche drivers are great...

"It must be a manual! Automatic transmissions are for old ladies."

"To me, driving an automatic is like eating pureed steak dinner. You're getting the nutrition, but missing the satisfaction."


And on and on the quotes go... Stick wins 2:1 all day long!

__________________
'13 S - Guards Red / Luxor Beige - Options - Loaded to the Hilt!!

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Track rat
 
Topless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cucamonga CA
Posts: 3,662
Garage
Been a stick guy all my life but the PDK can simply do it better resulting in consistently faster laps. I'll bow to technology here and choose either PDK of Ferrari flappy paddles with my ego still intact.
__________________
2009 Cayman 2.9L PDK (with a few tweaks)
PCA-GPX Chief Driving Instructor
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,655
It's just like watches, quartz watch is much more accurate than the most accurate mechanical watches but you still find people wearing mechanical watches.

It's nostalgia in this digital world.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The City
Posts: 1,084
Garage
While it is true that you can get better laps with the paddles, It is also true there will come a time when the car can drive better without you messing things up and you will just be in there for a ride.

Granted paddles are a far cry from that.

Personally I like my car, no stability control, no traction control, no launch control just good old ABS and power steering.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Opposed to Subie Burble
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central CT
Posts: 1,197
Garage
I like to interact with the car as much as possible, short of pumping the pistons myself by hand,. To me it's just more enjoyable to be that involved with the car and have more control. It's also more of a personal challenge performance-wise, because you have to condition yourself to performing as flawlessly as possible and with coordination, not just put your foot down and flick a paddle/push a button. If you screw up, it'll cost you, which is how I think it should be. Instead it starts to come down to more machine and less man-and-machine. While those automated manuals and such can be fun and are excellent technological advances, it's really not for me, and I'm on the younger side of the scale. If I were that concerned with turning faster lap times I'd get a car that's dedicated to the track and gets trailered there and back rather than something I'd like to drive there and back home after the track day. I don't care about shifts that happen faster than my airbag can deploy, I want a clutch pedal and manual shifter.
__________________
-O/D

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
It's just like watches, quartz watch is much more accurate than the most accurate mechanical watches but you still find people wearing mechanical watches.

It's nostalgia in this digital world.
It's far from nostalgia.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
I like to interact with the car as much as possible, short of pumping the pistons myself by hand,. To me it's just more enjoyable to be that involved with the car and have more control. It's also more of a personal challenge performance-wise, because you have to condition yourself to performing as flawlessly as possible and with coordination, not just put your foot down and flick a paddle/push a button. If you screw up, it'll cost you, which is how I think it should be. Instead it starts to come down to more machine and less man-and-machine. While those automated manuals and such can be fun and are excellent technological advances, it's really not for me, and I'm on the younger side of the scale. If I were that concerned with turning faster lap times I'd get a car that's dedicated to the track and gets trailered there and back rather than something I'd like to drive there and back home after the track day. I don't care about shifts that happen faster than my airbag can deploy, I want a clutch pedal and manual shifter.
Amen to that. The more mechanical, the better. I like to see there are still alot of Porsche people who demand the manual transmission. I think the new Ferraris and the McLaren are always going to be lacking because of the missing pedal.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
While it is true that you can get better laps with the paddles, It is also true there will come a time when the car can drive better without you messing things up and you will just be in there for a ride.

Granted paddles are a far cry from that.

Personally I like my car, no stability control, no traction control, no launch control just good old ABS and power steering.
Absolutely. Automatics make great daily drivers, but nothing beats a downshift on mulholland from 3rd to 2nd. No paddle shifter can beat that feeling as the tail cuts loose dropping a gear as you approach a hairpin s turn above a 1000 ft cliff with no guard rail...
__________________
Jonny Wonder
1999 Porsche Boxster 5 Spd
Stock, with GAHH A5 Glass top.
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Bobiam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Unionville, CT
Posts: 442
Any automatic is fine if you NEED to have it. And for my daily driver Forester I'll take the automatic just to cut the labor of driving cities, etc. But this is a roadster. Not shifting it manually would be like hiring a chauffeur and not having to steer it either.

The Panorama article was right on posting the quotes that it did.
__________________
2001 Boxster, GT3 console delete, lower stress bar, RoW M030 suspension package, painted bumperettes.
Bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,517
I'm squarely in the manual camp. Its irrelevant to me if an auto can shift faster, I want to be completely involved in the driving experience and an automatic simply cannot meet that objective.

By the way, the Panorama articles made a few references to women being drawn more to automatics and I am glad to say that my wife not only insists, but demands a manual transmision in every car that she drives. Yeah, and she's pretty too!
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Redmond, Wa
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
I'm squarely in the manual camp. Its irrelevant to me if an auto can shift faster, I want to be completely involved in the driving experience and an automatic simply cannot meet that objective.

By the way, the Panorama articles made a few references to women being drawn more to automatics and I am glad to say that my wife not only insists, but demands a manual transmision in every car that she drives. Yeah, and she's pretty too!
You know what they say.. never brag about your wife.. women will get jealous and men will want to check it out

But I totally agree. Some cars have to be manual..
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
I've driven my friend's PDK C4S. It's a great transmission. Tooling around, you can't
Even feel the shifts. Put the pedal down and it shifts fast. But it's still an automatic and I think it ruins the car as a toy. If I were to buy a car that I intended to run on the track compeditively, PDK would be perfect. But even for a "fun" track day, I still prefer the manual.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Lil bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Du Monde
Posts: 2,199
Last spring, I had the chance to drive identical pairs of Boxsters and 997s back-to-back at the Porsche Sport Driving School at Barber. One was manual, the other PDK.

As mentioned, the PDK is a technological marvel and both a step up and great replacement for the Tiptronic S.

But, it was not only less satisfying than the manual, it was also marginally annoying.

Granted, the adaptive memory hadn't adapted to my driving, but it shifted at what seemed to me to be the wrong times. In one turn, it slightly upset the car.

To me, this only proves that this budding technology still has a way to go. Most likely a refinement of the software and shifting maps.

I can see the day when a clutchless manual has it all over a pure manual. But, I'm not sure that day has yet arrived. If I were buying a new Porsche product today, it would not be w/ PDK. 10 years from now...??

Cheers!
__________________
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 4 Cabriolet
1976 BMW 2002
1990 BMW 325is
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
I would much rather see Porsche and other sports car builders develop an extremely smooth, accurate and reliable manual. One made of ultra light metals, carbon fiber, etc. one that can last indefinitely, and one with the precision of well-oiled precise bolt action rifle needing minimal upkeep.

The empahiss shoul be on minimalism and precision. This apply to the rest of the car as well. This will be a better driving experience imho 9 times out of 10. The 10th being the guys who actually race these things, a sliver of a sliver.

__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page