Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
2003 Boxster S

Garage
Speedster Humps fit issues

I've got an 03 - 986S with the factory Speedster Humps, and have maybe used them 6 times. This last installation the drivers side, when tightened down with the latch in the hard top hole, sat higher than the other side (but only on the "arm" of it). The other side continues to sit nice and flush with the weatherstripping. I look at the hardware, and it appeared that the only adjustment was the roll bar hook and loop strap attachment.

Has anyone who owns these had such an issue, and if so, how did you correct it?
Thanks for any and all insight, and glad to be a part of the forum.

Mandrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #2

Hmmm

if you could post a photo or two maybe it would help.

There are aftermarket humps being sold and they are specific to the 986 or 987 I can tell you that much. The set I had for my 2004 986 "S" had NO weatherstripping around the outer edges of the humps.

The aftermarket ones do.

I want to get a set for my 987 but don't have the discretionary income to blow on them right now :/

If I remember the ones I had from Porsche there was an adjustment where the red handle attaches to the hump. But that was 7 years ago so I may be wrong make sure you look close and see if you can't slide that part one way or the other to make the adjustment. Mine always laid down nicely and I really liked them. A bit of a PITA but the more you use them the faster you can do it! ( Like so many other things in life )

Good luck and post a photo if you can.

Cheers
Old 07-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
2003 Boxster S

Garage
will post pics ASAP

Thanks a bunch for your response - we definitely have/had the same set, factory with no weatherstripping. I'll look at the handle again, and mount them up in the next few days and post a couple pics showing the dilemma. Its probably something simple - but maybe a photo will shine a light on it.

They are all kinds of awesome and really change the entire look of the 986. Coupled with the factory rocker panels, I like the look as much as any 996/997 personally.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #4

ehh goshh...soo tired of mine already! AS OF NOW im just zip tie'n them down because these things have been a hassle for me. They are for sale also. I just want a hardtop now.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
2003 Boxster S

Garage
finally some pics

Sorry for the delay - I havent even had time lately to put em on!

You can see the difference between the driver's side and the passenger side as far as gap goes. Driver's side is noticeably different. I checked the hardward (again) and couldn't tell any discernable difference in hardward for either side.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Not an expert on these accessories in the least, and not 100% sure what they're made of, but I have to wonder if maybe the pictured half of the humps has warped for some reason? Where and how do you store them when you're not using them?

My reason for asking is because a few things come to mind:

-if they're stored somewhere leaning against a wall or on a shelf for long periods of time which could cause warping thanks to good ol' gravity

or

-if they're stored in the rear trunk with its ridiculous high temperatures which could also cause warping

My thoughts could be totally off base and you may very well be doing neither of these, just thought I'd share

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #7

Dunno..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrew1
Sorry for the delay - I havent even had time lately to put em on!

You can see the difference between the driver's side and the passenger side as far as gap goes. Driver's side is noticeably different. I checked the hardward (again) and couldn't tell any discernable difference in hardward for either side.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Sorry I don't! I'm guessing you mean "hardware" ??

Did you get 'em new or used and did they always fit this way? The adjustment as I remember it wouldn't help the massive gap you have on the one side.

Mine always laid flat and they weren't new when I got them, just had them painted and put on the car, they fit fine.

I guess it is possible that one side may be warped but if they are fiberglass I can't see how it happened, barring being stored with a heavy weight on one of them.

Like you I really like the look of them and plan on getting a set for my car as soon as other things stop draining my resources!

Good luck thanks for the photos but I didn't realize the problem was as severe as your shots show.

Regards,

J T
Old 08-15-2011, 05:51 AM   #8
2003 Boxster S

Garage
@ Overdrive - they initially lay flat, but I DO store them in the easy-bake-oven-rear-trunk, so that theory does hold weight. They have always been stored there, however, from the previous owner, so maybe I havent been loading them correctly, and this with the combination of the heat did a number on the driver's side hump. I followed the "manual" (really a Porsche factory spec/parts sheet included with them) on how to properly load them, but it always seemed a tight fit.

@ J Tinsby - They have gotten worse then when I first bought the car, so clearly something has changed. The pics actually overstate the problem (from a close distance, you might be hard pressed to tell the difference), but I suspect most of us are picky bastards when it comes to everything involved with our Porsches. :-) I may try to let gravity work for me with a book or something on top of the offending hump and see if we can't get it a little closer to original spec.

You are correct, they take a car that already gets looks and turn it into a head turner - I think many folks arent even sure exactly what it is when they are installed (the closest thing they may have seen with such a design element might be a Ferrari in the movies or such).

Thanks to all for their thoughts on this strange issue...
Attached Images