Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #21

Garage
JD,

I do believe in what you've said about later model Porsches and F1 cars. NASCAR tried the and reverted back to the blade type, said the teams hated the handling the wing gave them. Installing a wing type spoiler for the right reasons (to keep your tail planted at high speeds) is commendable, but if you look at yours JD I don't know how that spoiler can generate enough down force at any speed to make a difference...it's way too small and that’s even IF it's an airfoil. The blade type is much more effective, might not look as cool but it's all in the functionality for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
If you've noticed, none of the aftermarket spoilers, especially the ones that are being offered by high end "tuners" incorporate the solid/flat section as the oem one does. I don't pretend to be an expert when it comes to aerodynamics, however, I suspect that there's a benefit to a spoiler that's designed to create create downforce by allowing air to pass over, under and through it . Take for example the spoiler designs on Carrera GT, 997 GT 2 and 3 vehicles, not to mention most F1 cars . All of them follow a similar design principle .

Old 07-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
JD,

I do believe in what you've said about later model Porsches and F1 cars. NASCAR tried the and reverted back to the blade type, said the teams hated the handling the wing gave them. Installing a wing type spoiler for the right reasons (to keep your tail planted at high speeds) is commendable, but if you look at yours JD I don't know how that spoiler can generate enough down force at any speed to make a difference...it's way too small and that’s even IF it's an airfoil. The blade type is much more effective, might not look as cool but it's all in the functionality for me.
You're probably right . The spoiler on my vehicle is more or less a styling touch. However, for the type of driving that I do, it hasn't detracted from the vehicle's handling capability; especially when compared to the oem set-up.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #23

Garage
Same here, I stay under 100 mph and could go without.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #24

Garage
Although, I have to say that the addition of the body kit did create a positive effect on the vehicle's aerodynamics. Above and beyond just cosmetics, the Hamann front bumper and side skirts are functional pieces that create a discernible difference in downforce .
Old 07-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #25

Garage
I love the side skirts, they really finish off the looks of the car and it appears to be lowered. Without the skirts the car looks like a four wheel drive...IMO.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #26

Mines just like my Saturday nights.... Blacked out
Old 07-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #27

Mines just like my Saturday nights.... Blacked out
Old 07-31-2011, 07:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods
Scary title indeed bro!

Regardless, check out what this guy did with his Box... another member here (j.fro) confirmed that it is a factory Porsche Aerokit II wing. Been trying to get one myself.... hard to find. The best of all imo, looks clean mate.

The crooked tail pipes kinda ruined that pic.....plus the lack of shoes on that leg.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:23 AM   #29

No it looks fine. All contributions are helpful and that spoiler looks great.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:27 PM   #30

Garage
not mine but a very nice tail...

I believe that car has a turbo... so it would seem us 986 guys on a track would spend most of the day chasing that tail.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #31
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Just commenting on some of the points being brought up earlier about aerodynamics when it comes to these spoilers...one thing I'm not sure of (and would love to see), is how the spoiler takes effect at speed. Normally when it sits flush, at least for the early 986 cars, the small lip on it likely does little. Now where it becomes a mystery for me is if the spoiler takes on a NASCAR-style function when raised and the entire surface that comes up is utilized for downforce. If that is the case, then you definitely would want as much surface as possble working for you.

Where I have my doubts is that I wonder if the airflow over the car changes at 75+ to where the air comes off of the car at a higher point at the rear, and raising the spoiler to that height allows that top (the color matched portion?) to provide downforce, the black portion underneath having little to no function since much less air is making it down that low on the car. It'd be great to see some wind tunnel action on the car at speeds like 40, 60, 75, and 100 or more, to see just what the spoiler does. Then to take it a step further, take those that remove that lower portion and see how they perform in a wind tunnel.

While I know there are plenty of manufacturers out there just making aesthetically pleasing parts, I have to imagine that any that were made for functionality that don't have that lower portion are designed that way because it is the actual top of the spoiler that's doing any work.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #32

I still, even with these, would like to see some mounted wings/spoilers. Many vendors have one photo of theirs but no photos from other angles. I like the new Cayman fixed wing but I know there are others out there. Okay, so, show me your 6 (tail).
Old 09-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
I like my tail spoiler. Simple, understated; yet nice .
I like that spoiler a lot is it the same as Pedro's in carbon? Is it a difficult install?
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tinsby
Hi Pedro,

Love the black numbers in the photo. From an eBay source?

Cheers,
My understanding is that these are actually for the 968, and folks just transpose the last two digits. Listed below, are several links to where you can buy the 968 emblem for about $25.

http://www.********************************************.com/results.php?partnumber2=9445592200370C

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=944-559-220-03-70C-OEM&catalog_description=968%20Emblem%2C%20Self-Adhesive%20Backed%2C%20Black%2C%20As%20Needed%2C%2 0Each%20%20

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/9445592200370C.html?Category_Code=986logos
Old 09-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S
I like that spoiler a lot is it the same as Pedro's in carbon? Is it a difficult install?
I'm not familiar with Pedro's spoiler. However, as far as the one on my vehicle is concerned, like most aftermarket FRP products, it required some tweaking and reshaping in order to get a perfect fit .
Old 09-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to 986rgt
Here's my aerokit 2 knockoff in carbon fiber. It is manufactured by Carbon Creations and goes for about 6-700 bucks I think. I got it from a fellow member on the cheap. Was very nerve racking drilling into the factory bonnet...

986rgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #37

Thanks 968rgt, especially for the different angles.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #38

Garage
Oooh, check it out ..... rear deck fins !!!
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve
Thanks 968rgt, especially for the different angles.
That wing is all over eBay .

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=boxster+maston+wing+&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Old 09-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Oooh, check it out ..... rear deck fins !!!
Those look repurposed from the front quarterpanel of a Mercedes...

2003S is offline   Reply With Quote