Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #1

Electronic control module????help

Does anyone know how to replace to electronic control module and about how much they run??The check engine light is constantly on the shop we took it to said it is either a exhaust leak or since there are so many codes showing it could be the module itself? Porsche Boxster 1999

wannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #2

Garage
What are the trouble code numbers? I doubt it's the control module, but the module is located in the trunk mounted behind the carpet on the front wall.

Provide some vehicle history:
How many miles on the vehicle?
Any modifications (intake or exhaust)?
Last time the spark plugs were changed?
Ever replaced the AOS?
Ever replaced the O2 sensors?
Ever replaced the gas cap?
Ever replaced the MAF sensor?

Members of this forum can't be of much help unless you provide the trouble codes and explain conditions.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #3

Reply on codes and history of car

TROUBLE CODES:
P1124,P1126. P0446, P0455,P1319,P1318,P1317,P1316,P1315,P1314,P1313
Provide some vehicle history:
How many miles on the vehicle? 112,000
Any modifications (intake or exhaust)? NONE
Last time the spark plugs were changed? NOT YET will change myself tomorrow morning.
Ever replaced the AOS? not yet
Ever replaced the O2 sensors? Not yet
Ever replaced the gas cap? Not yet
Ever replaced the MAF sensor?not yet
Other history points: prior owner did not take care of car, I have changed the oil found the dip stick was broken, replaced waterpump it was cracked, changed engine filter to a K AND N filter, car has a sporadic idle at times not constant, need to change rear and front struts. Recent sewed up the top myself leaked water into rear of seats caused the air bag dash light to keep coming on wires were really wet. Any help on codes is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #4

Something is peculiar here, a 99 Boxster should carry a 5.2.2 DME, but some of these codes are for the 7.2 DME, which is from a 01-02 "S" model Boxster.

That said, P1124 and 1126 are O2 sensor (both banks are lean); P0446 and 0455 are EVAP system codes (massive vacuum leak in EVAP system); P1313 to P1319 are cylinder misfire codes.

Considering the EVAP system leak codes, the O2 sensor codes make sense; the misfire codes may also relate to the lean conditions.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #5

Garage
This could be a fun one... You need to verify the electronics. Remove the trunk front panel by removing the three plastic retainers and pull back the carpet to expose the control module. How many connectors does it have? The DME 5.2.2 has a 88-pin connector and the DME 7.2 has 5 connectors (A 9-pin, B 24-pin, C 52-pin, D 40-pin, E 9-pin. I would be very surprised if someone upgraded the system to a 7.2 DME.

After changing the plugs do an AOS test by taking the oil fill cap off while the engine is running and warmed-up. Is the oil fill cap hard to take off? Does the idle drop where the motor almost dies?

300K Mile Club
Old 07-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #6

peculiar situation 5.2.2 vs 7.2 DME

Just got thru with left side spark plugs now working on right side. After all this I will check which DME is in the car??? I will let you know my findings.....
Old 07-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #7

Garage
So you are going to replace the tube seals later?

300K Mile Club
Old 07-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #8

Just out of curiosity, with codes showing a large scale vacuum leak at the EVAP system, and O2 sensors saying overly lean (like if you have a vacuum leak); why are you looking at the plugs instead of checking out the EVAP system?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #9

looking at the plugs RE

Well, at this point in time when we sat down to figure out what we could do to make the car run better we figured we would change the spark plugs at the same time we also purchased a OBD II code reader to really see for ourselves what was going on??? The shops or dealer is too expensive right now so we are resorting to our old mechanic days working on our MOPARS LOL and see what we can do... I do have another question for you how can do you wash the motor off to wash away oil etc to start fresh to see any real oil leaks etc. kinda difficult under????
Old 07-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #10

Garage
Looks like there are multiple issues, Wanagofast just discovered oil in the spark plug tubes (he sent me a PM this morning), so that is one issue. Will tackle vacuum leak(s) next.

300K Mile Club
Old 07-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannagofast
Well, at this point in time when we sat down to figure out what we could do to make the car run better we figured we would change the spark plugs at the same time we also purchased a OBD II code reader to really see for ourselves what was going on??? The shops or dealer is too expensive right now so we are resorting to our old mechanic days working on our MOPARS LOL and see what we can do... I do have another question for you how can do you wash the motor off to wash away oil etc to start fresh to see any real oil leaks etc. kinda difficult under????
How did the old plugs look? Was there still signs of an electrode on the end?

300K Mile Club
Old 07-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #12

replace tube seals RE

Yah, we started the car just to see how it ran just with that right side done and it already seems to be a happier car...Yah, we are going to replace the tubes later those tubes need to be ordered I assume, it didnt misfire presently. We sprayed WD-40 on the plug to keep any oil off of them and dried out the tube best we could.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #13

RE what plugs looked like

OK so they have all electrodes (2) on each plug present. I tried to attach a pic of them how do you attach pic to this post?? The other wierd thing is that the plugs we took out totally look like factory plugs they say "made in france", BERU ultra, 14 FR-7LDU R6 they looked pretty good . We put in BOSCH platinums 4's.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #14

Garage
There is a "Manage Attachments" button below the "Submit Reply" button where you can attach/upload photos from your computer.

300K Mile Club
Old 07-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #15

uploaded pic of spark plugs....

Here is the pic of the spark plugs from the ride side of motor now doing the left side...
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #16

Garage
I have seen worse plugs, but now you know where you are on spark plug maintenance.

As JFP mentioned there seems to be major vacuum leaks on the evaporator system... How does the seal on your gas cap look?

300K Mile Club
Old 07-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #17

RE seal on gas cap pics

Here are sum pics of the rear rt strut that we will be replacing sometime next week, at that time I will posts more pics on that job, also here is the gas cap pics, pics of spark plug area and this is what the car looks like paid 9000.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #18

Garage
REPLACE THE GAS CAP! All those cracks on the seal are causing problems in the evaporator circuit.

300K Mile Club
Old 07-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #19

rest of pics malfunction

for sum reason not all pics posted ????
Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #20

Garage
Do you have all the spark plugs replaced? Have you performed the AOS test?

300K Mile Club