Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #1

Garage
Water Cooled

Replaced the water pump on my 2003 Chevy Tahoe today... I wonder when an auto manufacturer is going to come-up with a motor that is air cooled? :dance:

300K Mile Club

Last edited by Jager; 07-17-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #2

In a case like Shanghai, hot and humid, the car is likely to be more air cooled. Those 3 fans goes so wild on the 986 it make the water looks as if it's only a feature
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Unless you drive it into a lake, every car is air cooled.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Unless you drive it into a lake, every car is air cooled.
Yes they are... Now if we can just get rid of that liquid loop in between.

300K Mile Club
Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
Yes they are... Now if we can just get rid of that liquid loop in between.
Water has 4x the heat carrying capacity and 30x the conductivity of air. So it can carry more heat and it can pull it away much faster than air can. This means it does a much better job of reducing hot spots and takes much less energy to reduce temperatures than localized airflow would. Once the heat is in the front of the car, it's easy to move it to the air efficiently. Engines would have to be heavier and physically larger than they are to air cool them directly.

It's better this way.

Now if water pump housings were not part of the engine block and easy to get to like they were before the 80s, that would be nice.

Last edited by blue2000s; 07-17-2011 at 08:39 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:57 AM   #6

Your Tahoe probably IS air cooled under certain conditions. GM is pretty smart about basic functional stuff and the V8 motors have an emergency cooling mode that functions even if the car looses all the coolant. They turn off the fuel injectors to half the cylinders and the air movement through the motor provides a cooling effect. I think you can drive the car 100 miles without any coolant.

I bet you probably already knew this.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_K
Your Tahoe probably IS air cooled under certain conditions. GM is pretty smart about basic functional stuff and the V8 motors have an emergency cooling mode that functions even if the car looses all the coolant. They turn off the fuel injectors to half the cylinders and the air movement through the motor provides a cooling effect. I think you can drive the car 100 miles without any coolant.

I bet you probably already knew this.
No, I did not know that... That is very interesting. I would not want to test that though.

I changed the water pump because it started leaking a little through the weep hole, I can't stand any kind of drip on my garage floor!

300K Mile Club
Old 07-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Water has 4x the heat carrying capacity and 30x the conductivity of air. So it can carry more heat and it can pull it away much faster than air can. This means it does a much better job of reducing hot spots and takes much less energy to reduce temperatures than localized airflow would. Once the heat is in the front of the car, it's easy to move it to the air efficiently. Engines would have to be heavier and physically larger than they are to air cool them directly.

It's better this way.

Now if water pump housings were not part of the engine block and easy to get to like they were before the 80s, that would be nice.
The pump was not too difficult to get to and replace but the job is just so darn messy.

So what if I throw a turbine engine in there... How much liquid coolant do those need? I saw a program on car designs and someone is working on an electric car with two small gas turbines turning generators.

300K Mile Club