Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #1

Tire pressure

Why does Porsche recommend 7 pounds difference in tire pressure front to rear?

I've only had my car a couple of months and just recently statrted to push it in the corners. On 60-70 mph sweepers I noticed pronounced lift throttle oversteer. I said to myself, this is a Boxster, the mid engine should make the car very balanced and all, but it felt like an air cooled 911 when I got off the gas in corners.

So I put 4 more PSI in the fronts and it felt better. Then I went to 36 front and rear and now it feels great.

Is there a reason for 29 front/36 rear?

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #2

I believe the tendency of the boxster is to oversteer and possibly the manufacturer recommended the psi to offer more control in a high speed cornering situation, as well as during daily driving, where turn-in is more valued at low speeds.

Higher pressure promotes more high speed stability, however the tire takes a while longer to warm up. Slightly less grip. Slightly lower tire footprint.
Lower pressure gives you more flexibility and better cornering as the tire warms up more quickly. Larger tire footprint. More grip. Yet wears out more quickly as well.

I assume making the rear more stable and the fronts more nimble and grippy makes the car a better daily driver and helps the tires wear more evenly. I have 19" wheels and follow the manufacturers specs and love the handling.

I'm not sure what you're feeling, but I know if I need to slow down or brake quickly I want to more turn-in ability from that oversteer and grip in the front. Everyone drives differently tho. And you may prefer a different setup. The best setup is the one that works for you that you can feel. The manufacturer has to cater to the needs of the normal daily driver.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Conventional wisdom is that it's safer for the average Boxster driver to have a car that pushes versus one that's loose. Yes, I live in NASCAR country.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Conventional wisdom is that it's safer for the average Boxster driver to have a car that pushes versus one that's loose. Yes, I live in NASCAR country.

That make sense, that the car should push, rather than oversteer, but with lower tire pressure in the front, it seems to induce oversteer. Once I increased the pressure in the front, the oversteer went away.

You especially don't want to oversteer when you get off the throttle, since this is the typical panic reaction that people have when they get into a corner too hot.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho
Why does Porsche recommend 7 pounds difference in tire pressure front to rear?

I've only had my car a couple of months and just recently statrted to push it in the corners. On 60-70 mph sweepers I noticed pronounced lift throttle oversteer. I said to myself, this is a Boxster, the mid engine should make the car very balanced and all, but it felt like an air cooled 911 when I got off the gas in corners.

So I put 4 more PSI in the fronts and it felt better. Then I went to 36 front and rear and now it feels great.

Is there a reason for 29 front/36 rear?
My best guess is ride comfort. The car feels smoother with 29F. I typically run 32 cold all around on the street.

Yes every car will exhibit throttle lift oversteer without active stability management... even a 63 Ford Falcon. It's a physics thing.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
My best guess is ride comfort. The car feels smoother with 29F. I typically run 32 cold all around on the street.

Yes every car will exhibit throttle lift oversteer without active stability management... even a 63 Ford Falcon. It's a physics thing.

For sure.....even worse if you are in a sweeper and lift in a slide/drift, in damp conditions and baked tires.....it will over steer on the opposite lock right quick....don't ask me how I know this It does seem more er em violent with engine amid ships though
Old 07-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #7

Oh yes I like 31f and 34r but I am not racing the car
Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #8

I find this interesting, because I was just complaining on another thread about how my 987 Doesn't display any trailing-throttle oversteer. I actually find it a to be a helpful trait, and about the only thing that will kill mid-corner understeer. Is this another difference between a 986 and 987?

The "snap" oversteer is partially due to the mid-engine design, more rear weight & grip due to wider rear tires, and a lower MOI, but I think the biggest reason is the short wheelbase.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
I find this interesting, because I was just complaining on another thread about how my 987 Doesn't display any trailing-throttle oversteer. I actually find it a to be a helpful trait, and about the only thing that will kill mid-corner understeer. Is this another difference between a 986 and 987?

The "snap" oversteer is partially due to the mid-engine design, more rear weight & grip due to wider rear tires, and a lower MOI, but I think the biggest reason is the short wheelbase.
I was considering a constant throttle position and then moving to more open as in corner exit. Perhaps you are speaking to the corner entry phase. I too in the 986 can and do get understeer and have not yet properly reliably learned to correct as you have described. I am a beginner. While accelerating in a sweeper, I have noticed the car twich nose out...to understeer when lifting for traffic. It is really pronounced as if the body is flexing....and I can't feel that the rears were sliding, or can't believe it. Would it have something to do with my differential. If I get a chance I will try going back on the throttle to get the car pointed accurately
Old 07-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #10

Sorry Jay, I was more responding to the OP comments than yours. I agree that I can induce oversteer late in the corner with lots of throttle in 2nd gear. You have to be quick with your counter-steering, and straigthen the wheel quickly, or you'll get into a "tank-slapper". With neutral to mild throttle application there is a definate push, lifting off the throttle ( for traffic ) will tend to lessen this push.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

With a mid-engine car where the balance is very close to 50/50, the tire pressures would normally be about equal to create balanced handling (neither understeer or oversteer).

However, very few cars are sold with balanced handling - most cars have understeer to avoid an average driver getting into a situation that they can't control very well (oversteer).

Thus, the 29/36 recommended pressure to add a bit of understeer to the handling.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #12

There are many things that affect the press. choices for a manufacturer, ride comfort, tire "responsiveness", weight distribution, heat build-up at sustained high speeds, and possibly the most important, tire load ratings. They have to err on the safe side of a vehicle loaded to maximun GVWR. The Box is already rear heavy, and driver/passenger weight would seem to be biased to the rear also.
Just my WAG, opinions vary!
Old 07-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Sorry Jay, I was more responding to the OP comments than yours. I agree that I can induce oversteer late in the corner with lots of throttle in 2nd gear. You have to be quick with your counter-steering, and straigthen the wheel quickly, or you'll get into a "tank-slapper". With neutral to mild throttle application there is a definate push, lifting off the throttle ( for traffic ) will tend to lessen this push.
No worries we are just talking....I am just trying to learn proper car control. I have experienced a progressively more violent tank slapper just as you describe in the wet. It was a lot of work with no way out...had to let it spin and lockup once I thought I was going in straight line

Last edited by jaykay; 07-14-2011 at 12:08 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #14

Yeah, the Boxster can be hard to "catch" smoothly once you get it sideways. It just takes practice, and trial and error to figure it out! (hopefully without hitting anything) The key is to start straightening the wheel before the car is actually pulling back in line. I forget which author calls it "the pause" in a slide, which tells you it's about to snap back. Hard to explain in text! Good luck.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Yeah, the Boxster can be hard to "catch" smoothly once you get it sideways. It just takes practice, and trial and error to figure it out! (hopefully without hitting anything) The key is to start straightening the wheel before the car is actually pulling back in line. I forget which author calls it "the pause" in a slide, which tells you it's about to snap back. Hard to explain in text! Good luck.
Yes! This makes total sense! I will look for the "pause". It sounds like I am holding opposite lock too long......very helpful thanks!

I will try this on the skid pad next month
Old 07-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #16

Garage
32 front / 36 rear works well of me .