Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #1

Aluminum Gauge Rings...where to buy?!?!

Hey everyone... I'm hoping that you all can shed some light on this topic for me. I'm looking to buy a new set of the aluminum gauge trim rings for my 2002 base model, but everywhere I've looked online says it's been discontinued.

Did something happen to make all of these go bye bye? Does anyone have an idea of a store that might still have these? I really like the look of the accent rings around the gauges. Is there an OEM alternative?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Mark

Appleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:50 AM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Mark,

Have you searched eBay? I bought an inexpensive set from eBay 5 or 6 years ago. They are aluminum looking, but are actually plastic.

Another thing is to search for Boxster or 911 (996) rings. The 911 has two more pieces (for voltage and oil pressure) that the Boxster cluster doesn't have. So with my kit I ended up with two unneeded pieces. The kits are interchangeable.

Best of luck,

Derek

Last edited by ddb; 01-15-2012 at 04:40 PM.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:30 AM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Search these sites for some examples:

http://www.****************************************.com/

http://www.********************************************.com/model/986catalog.html

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/main.htm
Old 07-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #4

Thanks Derek. Once again you just go to show me that your car is awesome! Love the tan interior you got there.

I totally appreciate the info!

Cheers and Happy 4th.

Mark
Old 07-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #5

Mark, should you buy a set, be sure to remove your cluster and buy some THICK CA glue (superglue) and then put a decent amount inside the rings, working from the center outward, then lowering the cluster onto the ring and allowing each one to set up and fully dry for 24 hours before you go on to the next ring.

Thick super glue is required and it does not dry instantly by any means.

What you do not want to do is attempt this with the cluster in the car. Don't ask me how I know this makes for a big uncleanable mess inside your car. :ah:

BTW, the cheapest place to buy a larger bottle of thick cyanoacrilate glue is your local woodworking store, such as Rockler or Woodcraft. I buy lots of the stuff each year for my lathe work (I make handwriting instruments and flood the woods with CA glue for a hard glossy finish).
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #6

Thanks Randall! I appreciate any and all info on this. I'll keep this in mind when I find a set.

Cheers

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Mark, should you buy a set, be sure to remove your cluster and buy some THICK CA glue (superglue) and then put a decent amount inside the rings, working from the center outward, then lowering the cluster onto the ring and allowing each one to set up and fully dry for 24 hours before you go on to the next ring.

Thick super glue is required and it does not dry instantly by any means.

What you do not want to do is attempt this with the cluster in the car. Don't ask me how I know this makes for a big uncleanable mess inside your car. :ah:

BTW, the cheapest place to buy a larger bottle of thick cyanoacrilate glue is your local woodworking store, such as Rockler or Woodcraft. I buy lots of the stuff each year for my lathe work (I make handwriting instruments and flood the woods with CA glue for a hard glossy finish).
Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #7

Well that was a bust. My order was cancelled as the set I ordered "has been discontinued".

Why in the heck are these things so difficult to find?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Check out this link:

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20873

Bobiam bought a set 2 years ago. Try sending him a PM for the source.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-996-Aluminum-Bezel-Rings-/370484911626
Old 07-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #10

Damn Derek, you simply ROCK! Thanks for all of your help! From now on you are officially my brotha from anotha motha! :dance:

Seriously, I do appreciate all of your help!

Cheers

Mark
Old 07-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #11

Ok I found another set off of eBay from Germany. Let's hope this works out this time. Thanks again to Derek for all of his wise wisdom and help

Cheers

Mark
Old 07-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #12

Garage
These guys aren't cheap but they are supposed to be stainless steel. Just follow the link and search gauge rings.

http://www.************************************************************/
Pirate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate50
These guys aren't cheap but they are supposed to be stainless steel. Just follow the link and search gauge rings.

http://www.************************************************************/

Thanks I saw those but I'm not too keen on the stainless steel part.

Ironically I use to work for Automotion doing R&D with the original owners when it was located in Northern California back in the early 90's.

Cheers

Mark
Old 07-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #14

Thanks again for everyones help!

My rings finally arrived today all the way from Germany. I wasnt going to remove the gauges from the dash to install them, but it was a total PITA to accomplish it with the gauges still in the dash. Since the removal of the gauges was totally easy, it just made sense to go that route. I opted to use the 3M trim adhesive tape to adhere the rings.

Installed :dance:

Cheers

Mark

Last edited by Appleguy; 07-23-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #15

Garage
I know this sounds dumb, but Automotion sells a set in red for $99.00 Why can't I lightly scff the surface and repaint them silver????
daboxsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #16
jakesbox

I did mine in the car and it was pretty simple and a great looking upgrade. I had to go back on one of mine, pull it off as the tape was not sticking in one part and then I used a different tape (3m tape) and put it back on. perfect!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #17

These are mine:

Old 12-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #18

I got mine off ebay over the summer. I believe they were $40. Installed with 3m while the gauges were in the car. Easy and look great. They're silver.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #19

I also purchased mine off ebay, although I found the small strips of 3M 2-sided tape that were included in the kit to be inadequate and so installed them with clear exterior silicone. After it dries, any slight excess was easy to remove with water.

Could someone purchase red ones and paint them? Absolutely. Mind had some scratches as delivered and I sanded them, sprayed on a few coats of metallic aluminum silver and then a couple of coats of clear coat prior to installation.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #20

Garage
Tried searching ebay with no luck. Do you have a link?

Thanks!

markskyline is offline   Reply With Quote