Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #21

[QUOTE=What the best way to get hold of and install the ROW flash?[/QUOTE]

Have a friend that owns a PST2 or a dealer that is willing to do this for you....Which the later is almost unheard of....

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #22

No friends that have it maybe I should post for Toronto people with the tester....I will try some dealers and see what they say....there must some out there that have the file(s) and procedure to do it
Old 07-05-2011, 02:50 AM   #23

Garage
Theholyoak has the ability, he programmed mine for a fee.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #24

Yes you are right....I have his old muffler on my car albeit by-passed and ceramic coated. He is a long way away though!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #25

Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
This frustrates me. I'm having a hard time staying on topic with my response, but I'm going to try really hard. Here it is: Have you ever actually seen what happens and how much the car moves when you try to start it while it's in gear?
... if you have the handbrake engaged the car won't go anywhere even if it's in 1st gear.
It's all bout getting used to it.
The Europeans don't have their cars taking of and damaging bumpers and injuring people's legs.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 07-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #26
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon
... if you have the handbrake engaged the car won't go anywhere even if it's in 1st gear.
It's all bout getting used to it.
The Europeans don't have their cars taking of and damaging bumpers and injuring people's legs.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Yes, Exactly.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #27

There is no absolute right or wrong concerning the clutch/starter interlock. I've had plenty of cars that work one way or the other. It's really about how much risk one is willing to accept. Where there is no downside to minimizing risk, it makes sense to do so. For me there is no downside to interlocking the clutch and starter, so I prefer it that way to minimize risk. For others, it is inconvenient or intolerable to have the interlock. They have their reasons and are willing to accept a little more risk and believe that they adequately compensate for it. Time will tell.

I have bypassed some safety features in various circumstances. At times I feel they don't apply to my particular situation, or that they they are so inconvenient that they are worth removing and accepting additional risk. With many standards that are forced upon us, there is some statistical reason for it's existence. We rarely learn what stats caused the standard to be formulated. Maybe the best that we can do is do a bit of deep thinking as to why the standard (interlock) was imposed upon us to determine if the problem really applies to us and to what degree.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #28
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
No friends that have it maybe I should post for Toronto people with the tester....I will try some dealers and see what they say....there must some out there that have the file(s) and procedure to do it
In the US it is illegal for a mechanic (dealer or otherwise) to install the ROW flash.

That said, you will need to contact your dealer so he can look up your codes before any of us with a PST-2 or better can help.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
In the US it is illegal for a mechanic (dealer or otherwise) to install the ROW flash.

That said, you will need to contact your dealer so he can look up your codes before any of us with a PST-2 or better can help.
Which specific codes would I ask for? I would think it would be the dme software version plus any adaptation parameters
Old 07-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #30
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Just ask the service manager for printout of all of your codes.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote