Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #1

Garage
T-20 or T-10 that is the ?

This issue probably isn't worth mentioning, however, in view of the recent threads concerning MAF sensor problems, I thought that this might be helpful to some who are attempting to fix theirs . About a month or so ago, I was experiencing what appeared to be the onset of MAF failure . So, after reading virtually every DIY article regarding MAF sensor replacement, I noticed that every one of them unequivocally called for a T-20 tamperproof torx in order to loosen the bolts on the sensor . The funny thing was, at first I thought that I was loosing my mind going back and forth between bits (not to mention two trips to the local parts store), trying to figure why I couldn't get the correct "fit" on the bolts. Out of frustration I decided to try some different sizes, and lo and behold it was in fact a T-10 that fit my sensor . So, the moral of the story is, don't get confused like I did. Your sensor may in fact require a T-10 torx instead . It's a good idea to purchase a set of them. :ah:

Old 06-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #2

Smile Thanks

For the heads up! Wonder if the MY matters? I think a new MAF sensor is in my near future, so great find!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #3

Advance has a set of security torxs for about $10.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #4

Along those lines, why are so many folks having MAF issues? My car is nine years old, with an Evo Hi-Flo cone filter (oiled) and I have never had an issue. Clean living, I guess...
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Along those lines, why are so many folks having MAF issues? My car is nine years old, with an Evo Hi-Flo cone filter (oiled) and I have never had an issue. Clean living, I guess...
My guess is there aren't too many nine year old Boxsters out there with as few miles as yours. How many miles are you up to now?
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
You make an interesting point. My vehicle also has an Evo intake, and the last time it was in for upgrades, I asked them to check/clean the filter (yeah, I know, I should have done it myself) . In any case, instead of letting the filter dry thoroughly and re-oiling it, they simply blew it out with an air hose and reinstalled it . In hindsight, I believe that this may have led to the demise of my sensor .
Old 06-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #7

all i can say is Harbor freight . That is the place to get cheapo tools . just got an air powered wrench for like 20 bucks. Do any of you guys run the BMC air filter ? do they cause any kind of troubles ?
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #8

BMC should be no issues out of the box (lightly oiled). Just use caution to not over-oil after cleaning. Recommend setting on newspaper for a day or two before inserting just in case on both accounts though . . .

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #9

t-anything has the "hole" in the middle. that's the "security" part of it.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #10

another tip for MAF removal/installation...

save yourself the cursing and put a small dab of grease (something with the consistency of petroleum jelly) on the end of the bit. When removing, it keeps the MAF screws from dropping into the black hole never to be seen again, and when installing, serves the same purpose, but also helps align the screws since it's hard to get your hands in there to guide it.

once finished, the grease (or whatever you used) can be wiped away.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #11

I run a BMC - it could be coincidence ( I think it is as the signs were there before) but my MAF appeared to die about a month after installing the BMC. Will really see if it is the problem after I install a new MAF tonight!
Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #12

i never did care for any oiled type air filter. seems like every time i used one on my previous cars there would be issues. they let **************** into the motor .
Old 06-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #13

any good high flow filters for the boxster that are not the oiled type. i ran a foam type one on my evo and it worked good with no issues.