Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #1

Left turn signal not working

Once again I'm far away from home and have developed a problem. Left turn signal does not work. Right is fine and all four blink when the hazard is on. Did a search here and a general search but could not find anything. Couldn't be fuse could it? I suspect a problem with the stalk and assume working on the column is not DIY.

Edit: Seems to be an intermittent problem (don't you just love those). When you first start the car up, it works once or twice, then stops. The next time you start it up, same story.

Last edited by Gforrest2; 06-26-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Gforrest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #2

Smile Fixed It!

Well, when I took the car in for an alignment, I asked about my turn signal problem. They said they could diagnose it, might take an hour or more......at $125+ an hour.

I think you can get away with no right signal, but the left's pretty important. So I was going to do a redneck/hillbilly fix (no offense to the rednecks and hillbillys out there). That is, pull the right signal wires from my hazard switch and then use the hazard button for my left turn signal.

But I thought I would take a look at the turn signal switch to see if I saw anything obvious. A little intimidated by the whole steering column/air bag removal with my worst fear being not able to remove a nut or screw. Almost turned out to be true. Could not remove the first two screws to come out. Had to put my pipe wrench on the torx driver and I though I was going to rip the handle from the driver but it finally broke free (culprit - blue locktite). Anyway, once those screws came out the rest was a breeze. The wire harness connector to the signal stalk came off with little effort. The connector on the other side (wiper) took quite a bit more effort. Hmmmmmmmmm. I put the turn signal connector back on. This time it took quite a bit of effort to remove it. Could that really be the problem????? Put everything back together and, yup, the wire harness connector had worked itself loose. Enough that the left would not work but not so much to keep the right side from working. Sigh of relief and thankful I didn't take it in or buy a new stalk, although the OBC hack looks liked a worthwile project.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforrest2
Once again I'm far away from home and have developed a problem. Left turn signal does not work. Right is fine and all four blink when the hazard is on. Did a search here and a general search but could not find anything. Couldn't be fuse could it? I suspect a problem with the stalk and assume working on the column is not DIY.

Edit: Seems to be an intermittent problem (don't you just love those). When you first start the car up, it works once or twice, then stops. The next time you start it up, same story.

It's probably the ignition switch...(kidding, but not really)

/