Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #1

Counterfeit Durametric Cables

I had no idea there was such a thing and now, here I am, the "proud" owner of one.

I saw an ad on Kijiji for a durametric cable for $100, which seemed like a pretty good deal, especially after I emailed the seller and was told it was the pro version.
I sent the money and a few days later it shows up. I was trying to figure out if it was a 1st or 2nd gen cable but there were no stickers on it. I sent pics of it to Duramtric to see if they could help id the cable, and they promptly told me it was a fake, and that it would likely only work with very old versions of the software.

It came with a cd with version 3.0.15, and it does work with that version, so I guess it wasn't a total rip-off, but it sure wasn't what I expected. At least now I know there are no stored error codes and that my engine has never been over-revved.

Live and learn, eh?

Old 12-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
I had no idea there was such a thing and now, here I am, the "proud" owner of one.

I saw an ad on Kijiji for a durametric cable for $100,
It came with a cd with version 3.0.15, and it does work with that version, so I guess it wasn't a total rip-off, but it sure wasn't what I expected. At least now I know there are no stored error codes and that my engine has never been over-revved.

Live and learn, eh?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was it a total fake or just an older model legit but model misrepresented? Is 3.0.15 hobbled or just an earlier version of current software? Is there much of significance it cant' do?

Regards, PK
Old 12-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #3

According to the guy at Durametric, it's a fake, manufactured outside the US. The software is legit, but an early version from Jan 2007. It's not a huge problem for someone like me with an older car, but someone with a newer car would be pretty much hooped. I can read and reset error codes, reset the check engine and airbag light - most of the main stuff that I would need the tool for.

Here's the version history from Durametric if you wanted a more detailed answer.

http://www.durametric.com/versionhistory.aspx

It was kind of embarrasing going to Durametric tech support for help and being told that they couldn't help me because it was a counterfeit cable, but I apologized for the trouble and they agreed not to send their jack-booted thugs to kick in my door at 3 am.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
So are you going to destroy it or support criminals?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #5

That's a really good question, and I have wrestled with it. I guess where I've ended up is that the criminals already have my cash and so I've already supported them and there's nothing I can do about it. If I destroy the cable, the only loser is me. What I will not do is turn around and sell it to someone else. I'll use it until I am able to buy a new Durametric kit, and then I'll hang it on my Wall of Shame with some of my other misadventures.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Any chance of returning it for a refund?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #7

You bought the item in good faith, to destroy it because you were lied to seems like a convoluted justice to exact on yourself; after all you're the innocent party.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
You bought the item in good faith, to destroy it because you were lied to seems like a convoluted justice to exact on yourself; after all you're the innocent party.
i agree......heck i bought a gucci watch once ...it was spelled guuci
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
So if I buy a stolen car, I can keep it?

This also violates Durametrics right to use agreement on their software.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #10

Returning it really isn't an option either, even if I could. The guy would just sell it to someone else anyway. I suppose I could file a Paypal claim, but it would probably be more trouble than it's worth. Like I said, I'm just gonna let it slide.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
So if I buy a stolen car, I can keep it?

This also violates Durametrics right to use agreement on their software.

Is the house you live in on former Indian land? Why aren't you looking into giving it back? It's just as arbitrary an argument...

Last edited by eightsandaces; 12-05-2010 at 10:52 PM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:15 AM   #12

Quote:
That's a really good question, and I have wrestled with it. I guess where I've ended up is that the criminals already have my cash and so I've already supported them and there's nothing I can do about it. If I destroy the cable, the only loser is me. What I will not do is turn around and sell it to someone else. I'll use it until I am able to buy a new Durametric kit, and then I'll hang it on my Wall of Shame with some of my other misadventures.
+1
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #13

Thinking strictly from the legal standpoint

every time you use the bootleg cable with the software that is not purchased from Durametric, you are committing a crime and depriving Durametric of its rightful income to pay for its developers and to fund their work to make improvements to the software as well as to achieve profits they are entitled to by reason of their investment in creating the software.

Any other reasoning is a rationalization to justify your selfish profiting from your actions.

I'm sorry to use such harsh language but I made my living developing software and had to meet a payroll and people who stole my intellectual property cost my people jobs and or raises.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #14
JTP

I don't know what Kijiji is where Mark got his cable but I don't think he maliciously intended to circumvent Durametric's profits when he bought it. He probably thought he was getting a real cable. I suppose he should have bought it from Durametric directly to avoid this but atleast he's posting his findings warning the rest of us. He could have kept quiet about it.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #15

I hear ya, Mike, and it's definitely an argument that has merit, more so if it was version 5 or 6 of the software that the device was capable of running. The highest version of software this device will run is version 3. Durametric didn't seem too concerned about it when I spoke with them and, in reality, they probably care about this as much as Microsoft cares about an unlicenced copy of Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. And it will become a moot point once I purchase the real kit.

There sure are some self-righteous people in this forum. I made this post as a friendly gesture to help prevent this from happening to others, not so some podium-thumpers could lecture me on ethics.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #16

Thanks for posting your experiences...

It is kind of sad how you are being flamed. You did not intentionally set out to purchase something that was illegal or violated patents, copyrights, etc. but in the end you suffered on both ends...by having been duped into purchasing a copycat product and by being flamed by others for purchasing a copycat product. It would be an issue I think if you had intentions to resale it or you were running a repair shop with counterfeit durametric software.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #17

Right on, Mark T. Ignore those people.

Norm
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #18
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Is the house you live in on former Indian land? Why aren't you looking into giving it back? It's just as arbitrary an argument...
A few comments

The Indians took it from someone.

Indians believe no one owns the land.

I am of native American descent.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
JTP

Mark, I think you just got misled and became a victim. Thanks for taking the time to warn us. It's just too easy to cheat and copy something today.
Mike, you would have a meltdown if you saw how much pirated software and DVDs are being sold to soldiers at many forward bases overseas.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #20

Quote:
There sure are some self-righteous people in this forum. I made this post as a friendly gesture to help prevent this from happening to others, not so some podium-thumpers could lecture me on ethics.
Forums can be very helpful sometimes.

But sometimes its just not worth posting... everyone's a tough guy and an expert behind a keyboard. I don't post much or share my point of view for this reason exactly. I have done many of the mods/projects discussed here and I don't share my experiences very often. I have my own workshop/dyno and I know how to use it.

I work in motorsports. Over the past 10 years, when I have received an email/complaint/criticism from an internet tough guy and have to represent/defend the company I work for, I make a point to ask them for their phone number, or give them mine. I try to get them on the phone and speak directly whenever possible. Everytime they turn into a complete pussycat... even more so in person.

My point is, it's best not to say anything over the internet that you wouldnt say to another person directly, maybe at the next PCA event, AX, etc. On a personal note, I'm a slight @$$h01€. So if I'm an ass here, I would probably be an ass if I met you too.

Last edited by manolo; 12-06-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: my superior spelling/grammar skills...
manolo is offline   Reply With Quote