Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2005, 10:04 PM   #1

Cool Newbie to the Boxster community

Hey Guys,

I am new to the website. I have been reading most of the post information and it seems like really good info. I am buying a boxster (my first Porsche) and need some advice: What things to I need to buy to help me "settle in" with my first boxster? (ie: cleaners , wax, PC, ragtop cleaner and so on) Thanks for the help.

Scipiorn

scipiorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:48 AM   #2

Check out the recently thread on detailing. All that you would like to know about cleaning your Box and more!!!

Welcome to our Forum!

Best of luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:16 AM   #3

Yes my thoughts exactly Bruce. There seems to be alot of informative threads on detailing around here lately(must be the weather). Ragtop treatment, waxes/polishes, towels, orbital polishers, and such are all floating around on here and are very recent.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:45 AM   #4

You will also certainly need a good sized wad of Supercilious Attitude, and a 5-gallon bucket to keep it in.
Judging by some of the threads on this site, and others like it, you will also need some Moronic Driving Behaviour, although most folks seem to develop that on their own.
Welcome to the club.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:25 PM   #5

Newbie to the site

High everyone,

Thanks for the feedback on how to take care and detail my boxster. I have another question: I live in sunny california. I have a black leather interior. Yes, in the sun that interiors get hot. What are my options: other than putting the top up while driving in the hot sun. Are there slip covers to decrease the heat in the seats while driving? It's hard on the legs while driving in shorts and a tank top or tee shirt. Or am I bound to use a beach towel as a slip cover? Thanks for the help.

Scipiorn
scipiorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:00 PM   #6

Thumbs down Your burning shoulders...

is the Good Lord's way of telling you not to wear a tank-top when driving your boxster, especially not the Hane's Wife-beater model.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:28 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum! A tonneau cover might help with UV, as an alternative to putting the top up. Available through dealers -
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:27 AM   #8

Talking

If you go to the beach quite a bit AND you swim etc. you may want to consider some neoprene covers for the Box.

Yes, I know how that sounds but the neoprene should help protect the leather from the water, salt, etc.

On the other side of the coin, the sun would waste the neoprene pretty quickly.

Hmmm, sheepskin?

In any event, DO NOT let you leather seats sit in the sun for long periods of time. If you do, having hot legs will be the least of your worries.

Make sense?

Last edited by Brucelee; 06-29-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:43 PM   #9

Limoncello is, I believe, incorrect about the availability of the tonneau from Porsche dealers. It was discontinued a year or so ago.
However, all is not lost.
I just happen to have, in my verymost possession, a brand new, unused, complete and immaculate in every respect, BOXSTER FACTORY TONNEAU, that I could be pursuaded to part with, for the paltry sum of, say, $200, plus shipping.
The tonneau is certainly the IDEAL accessory for keeping UV rays, along with most other rays, out of your black interior while parked with the top down.
In addition it zips open down the middle, allowing you to drive about with the passenger compartment covered, thereby enabling the lucky owner to more closely approximate the appearance of a Porsche 550 lapping Pebble Beach or Torrey Pines at an indecent speed.
On the other hand it does require you to drill three holes in the top of each door, and three more in the top of the dash for installation of the snap fasteners. This, plus the $1295 original price, is probably why they are not as popular as they might otherwise be.
I eagerly await a positive response.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:40 PM   #10

Thumbs up Quote of my week

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
is the Good Lord's way of telling you not to wear a tank-top when driving your boxster, especially not the Hane's Wife-beater model.

That was the quote of the week in my book! Maybe tomorrow won't suck as bad with that little gem rolling around in my head. Wife beater tank-tops...what a fashion success!
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
Wife beater tank-tops...what a fashion success!
LOL - My wife got me a rather expensive undershirt from Nike a few weeks ago (believe it or not). I wore it when we went for a drive the other day and mentioned I was quite proud of my wife beater. She corrected me, as in her estimation I was wearing a trophy wife beater!