Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #1

Ouch. Offerred $7,000 trade-in for my 2000 S

I bought my 2000 S last Christmas for $12k and enjoy it but I already have another sports car, a 2005 Corvette that I bought new and kept nice, so I thought about buying a Ford Focus and trading in the Boxster. Initially they offerred $5k then went up to $7k but no more. The car has 106k miles, Tip, factory HIDs, leather. Only average condition but everything works and runs perfectly. No leaks, cold AC. The used car manager said it's hard to sell a high mileage Boxster in central Arkansas. No dealers and only one independent shop that works on them.

On the other hand, the dealership used car manager said the Corvette market is strong and there'd be no problem getting $22k for my car. Actually I haven't been driving the Corvette very much since buying the Boxster. So maybe I'll keep the Porsche since I can't get any money for it. I was expecting to get close to $10k trade in on the Boxster. Maybe I paid too much for it at $12k.

Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #2

can't speak for the boxster market in arkansas, but $10k for 106k miles '00 S isn't bad as long as you have kept up the maintenance and have records, i'd think that would be fairly well priced.

IMO though, i'd get rid of the corvette. :dance:
Old 06-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
You can do better selling it yourself and with that mileage, I would do it soon.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
You can do better selling it yourself and with that mileage, I would do it soon.
+1 Trading or selling a car to a dealer will never get you what you could get selling yourself. They have to make profit and then compete with you in selling the car again so they can never offer you what the car is worth.

$12k for a 2000S is a friking bargain, even with that mileage.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #5

Garage
It frightens me to hear these stories . I have a "show" condition '02 S with only 18k original miles, and nigh on to 40K in mods. I shutter to think what a private sale would fetch for my vehicle, let alone a dealer .
Old 06-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
It frightens me to hear these stories . I have a "show" condition '02 S with only 18k original miles, and nigh on to 40K in mods. I shutter to think what a private sale would fetch for my vehicle, let alone a dealer .
I hate to hear about it too. But it's the same story with any non-special edition Porsche from any era. They dip, then hold, then rise if they survive. Riding the wave.

Now mods, those are sunk costs, you can't expect any return on those.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #7

I tried to trade my 2003 E46 M3 6 speed with 35k miles to a BMW dealer last year for a CPO 40k car and they offered me 10k and couldn't understand why I walked out. They were asking 25 for another M3 with 60k miles on their lot and not in nearly as good shape. Trading with dealers is nigh impossible these days.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Now mods, those are sunk costs, you can't expect any return on those.
I hear this a lot and in a several cases have seen it. In general though when I look at the used Boxster market most don't have extensive modes. I said this before, but if I had camped out on this forum for a few months before buying mine I would have bought one from a member and been willing to pay extra for both the excellent maintenance and mods. The funny thing is the best prices on the internet are on the forums, I'm not sure why but maybe like me people want to see someone get their car that will appreciate it.

I know as I add more mods to mine it is a personal thing and won't mean much to a non-enthusiast.

10k sounds like a great price for Dale's car, I might be interested myself . Keep the boxster!
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #9

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by smshirk
I tried to trade my 2003 E46 M3 6 speed with 35k miles to a BMW dealer last year for a CPO 40k car and they offered me 10k and couldn't understand why I walked out. They were asking 25 for another M3 with 60k miles on their lot and not in nearly as good shape. Trading with dealers is nigh impossible these days.
If you still have the m3 and its for sale I'll give you $13k
waynes986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
I hear this a lot and in a several cases have seen it. In general though when I look at the used Boxster market most don't have extensive modes. I said this before, but if I had camped out on this forum for a few months before buying mine I would have bought one from a member and been willing to pay extra for both the excellent maintenance and mods. The funny thing is the best prices on the internet are on the forums, I'm not sure why but maybe like me people want to see someone get their car that will appreciate it.

I know as I add more mods to mine it is a personal thing and won't mean much to a non-enthusiast.

10k sounds like a great price for Dale's car, I might be interested myself . Keep the boxster!
I think most people see a modified car as a bigger risk to reliability and longevity. Who knows how ham-fisted the mods were in the first place and then if the mods were done well, how much do they affect the reliability of the car?
Old 06-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #11

Just my 2 cents, but why would you expect to get close to what you paid for it at a dealer? They need to make a profit on whatever they give you for trade + work that may need to be done. If you need to sell, then do it privately and you should get close to retail.
tdurnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
JTP

As much as I loved my 2000 Boxster S, I thought about selling it before it got totaled last month. The insurance company got me almost what I paid for it two years ago at a Porsche dealer. No way I could have gotten that with a dealer or even a private sale. Doesn't make up for my physical pain though.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #13

The irony of course is that the clunker market...

is very strong. The low end stuff was taken off the market for cash for clunkers so there is no supply and prices have risen considerably. There was a bidding frenzy for my mom's old Buick. Go figure....just another blind-side punch to the working class.

btw some have posted their boxster for sale here at the dealer trade in price (or slightly better) just so a member could get the deal instead of the dealer.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #14

Quote:

I've thought this through and through as well, which is why I don't ever plan on selling my 03 S that I stuffed the 3.8 into.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:47 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer
I've thought this through and through as well, which is why I don't ever plan on selling my 03 S that I stuffed the 3.8 into.
I have no plans to ever sell the Dangermobile either . However, after reading this thread I couldn't help but wonder how the depreciation factor has effected my vehicle as well .
Old 06-20-2011, 04:06 AM   #16

$7k is low but not out of the range. I just bought a 2000 2.7l with 115k miles from a private party for $7500.00, so his price, considering he will only pay wholesale is reasonable, but not good. Sell it on your own. Theres always someone who will pay near what you are asking.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:02 AM   #17

Lets start a new game. Everyone take your car to a dealer to see what kind of trade in value theyd give you. Now just make sure you give a false phone number so they can't call you every 5 minutes about coming back in
Old 06-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake D
Lets start a new game. Everyone take your car to a dealer to see what kind of trade in value theyd give you. Now just make sure you give a false phone number so they can't call you every 5 minutes about coming back in
We should first create a legal defense fund in the event a member ax-murders a used car manager .

JD
p.s. Just in case, I recommend eating a box of Twinkies before you stop in at any dealership .
Old 06-20-2011, 05:33 AM   #19

I'm planning on keeping the Boxster - I wasn't totally convinced I was doing the right thing even if I got the price I wanted. The Corvette costs me about $3,000 a year to own, even if I don't drive it much. There's $1,000 a year for insurance and probably $2,000 a year in depreciation. It's such a good car though. I've babied it since new and the GM engineering is good in the sense of being trustworthy and trouble free. Plus it's got so much power that it's thrilling in the way a Tip Boxster can never be.

So right now I guess I'm standing pat. I might trade the Corvette for a Volt or maybe even a Prius, possibly a Fiat 500 convertible but none of those cars are available right now.

I thought I'd picked up the Boxster near the bottom of its depreciation curve but apparently not. Well, the most I can loose is $12k, lol.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #20

Quote:
I have no plans to ever sell the Dangermobile either . However, after reading this thread I couldn't help but wonder how the depreciation factor has effected my vehicle as well .
Haha I like how you have a name for yours too. A friend of mine coined "Monster Boxster," and it kinda stuck LOL