Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 05:35 AM   #1

Clam shell going out of adjustment

My clam shell keeps going out of adjustment, meaning in the closed position the front thin sections are not level with the body. One side edge is higher than the other. You can hear it catch a bit when it opens when it has not been actuated for some time. I have had it adjusted twice in the last two seasons.

What would cause it to go out adjustment? Looks like I will have to learn do this myself. Are there any good guides out there? Perhaps one slide is stickier than the other

Old 06-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #2

There is a section dedicated to tops on the Boxster section over on renntech(org).

Is your clamshell uneven only when it is closed or does it also raise and lower crooked? If it's only when closed, there are black plastic wedge shaped stops that the clam shell rests on that can be adjusted to level it out when it's closed. This would be the simplest solution IF this is the problem.

If your clamshell is out of wack as it raises and lowers, then the tops transmission cables may need to be re-synchronized. This is a more involved repair but can be DIY’d. My clamshell came off its track on one side and I was able to get it working smoothly again without too much pain, & no new parts needed.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #3

Make sure the rails mounted on the quarter panels are properly greased.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #4

Good suggestions!

But fix this ASAP or you may end up bending or twisting the clamshell which is made of aluminum and not very robust. It is pretty expensive to replace.

My guess is that the transmission cables are the issue. These have a plastic outer sheath which shrinks with time causing the cable ends to pull out of the top transmission. If one side begins to disengage or detaches, while the other stays engaged, your clamshell is gonna bend like a pretzel.

The fix is replacement. As mentioned a detailed, but not too difficult DIY.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 06-16-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Good suggestions!

But fix this ASAP or you may end up bending or twisting the clamshell which is made of aluminum and not very robust. It is pretty expensive to replace.

My guess is that the transmission cables are the issue. These have a plastic outer sheath which shrinks with time causing the cable ends to pull out of the top transmission. If one side begins to disengage or detaches, while the other stays engaged, your clamshell is gonna bend like a pretzel.

The fix is replacement. As mentioned a detailed, but not too difficult DIY.

Cheers!

This is exactly what happened on mine. Fortunately it happened only once and although the clamshell came completely off its track on one side it did not bend or kink. I was able to trim the cable housings and re-sync the transmissions with a hand held drill. It's been fine for the past 3-4 years.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
jaykay,
I see in your signature that your car is a 2000 S. You've got the updated transmissions and cables, so the "trim the housings" fix isn't exactly the procedure for the 97-99 cars. Replacement of the cables may be the only option.
One note, be sure the transmissions haven't come loose in their attachments to the body.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #7

Thanks all this an area of the car I am not familiar with....I will have to get in there and see what you are talking about